Running -- how long to get into a zone?

Andrea U.
on 5/29/08 9:38 am - Wilson, NC
So I am doing interval work.. 4 min jog, 2 min rest.. and it's not a problem (will probably increase it tomorrow).. but I don't just zone out like I've read some people do.  I'm constantly aware of the time on the treadmill. When does this happen?  Does it happen to everyone?  Am I just strange?
Mifiremedic
on 5/29/08 10:46 am - MI
Your not alone, I hate the treadmill, Yes, I said it, I hate the treadmill. I only get on it when its to treacherous to go outside and run.

I get extremely bored on the treadmill. Doesnt matter if I am at home by myself or at the YMCA with plenty to keep my entertained.

However, get me outside, and I could run darn near forever. The reason is that I'm outside looking at the neighborhood, waving at cars for giving me the right of way, looking at houses, flowers, escaping the crazed dog. And more importantly its to easy for me to find a reason to get off the treadmill. But if I go for a run outside, I have to get back home. So I usually run out and then back. No laps around the block, because once again I will find a reason to stop.

So my non-expert advice is to get outside and I almost gaurantee you that you will see your running improve.

Curt
Chris Zane
on 5/29/08 12:06 pm
I'm going to agree with the last poster about the difference between running on a treadmill and outside.  I started running this winter and ran on a treadmill at the Y.  I liked it because I could keep a constant pace and I could keep an eye on the time.  I was doing the couch to 5k program and I liked that I could change from walking to running every so many minutes or seconds easily just by looking at the minutes on the clock. Most everyone on here seemed to prefer running outside and when I first started,  I didn't like it because I didn't feel like I could control my pace, time, etc. without constantly watching my watch. Well, now that I've been running outside for a month or so, I see what everyone is talking about.  It is so much nicer and more interesting to run outside.  Sometimes I keep close track of my time and speed and other times I just run and listen to music or podcasts or just think about things.  The time seems to go by faster when I'm not constantly watching it like I was on the treadmill. The other nice thing about running outside is that there is no prep or materials/equipment needed.  Just open your door and go running.  So much nicer than having to get ready, drive to the gym, park, check in, undress (coat, etc), hope a treadmill was available, etc. Give it a try and see how it works.
NicoleLynn
on 5/29/08 1:30 pm - Minneapolis, MN
I would have to concur with the other two that getting outside will help you loose track of time and just enjoy the run/walk.  I also run intervals and just moved up to 5 minutes run/2 minutes walk and found that the longer my running intervals get the less concerned I am about the time.  When I was at the beginning doing 2 minute run intervals I was looking at my watch almost nonstop, now I glance at it around 3 minutes and then again when its time to transition.  I have also decided that I don't have to be exact on the dot with my time (but that is just my opinion).  I am discovering a lot of really pretty areas to run/walk and suggest maybe looking for a nice park or lake to run in since I have found all of the greenery and other walkers/runners help keep my attention not on the time.  I hope you are able to enjoy your running and not worry so much about the time!  Nicole

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Linn D.
on 5/29/08 1:45 pm - Missoula, MT
I know some people hate the treadmill, but that's all I use unless I'm in a race.  I need to be close to the potty room, though, so I like the convenience of the treadmill.  They are also easier on my knees and I really don't have the boredom problem the others talk about.  I keep entertained by looking around, listening to other people on the treadmill also, and looking at the tube.  I can't wear ear buds (they really hurt my ears) so having music to listen to isn't an option.   Anyway, as far as getting in the zone goes, I can't tell you when I first noticed it.  It was quite a while after I started running before I was ever in a comfort zone; and I think what you notice first is that it isn't uncomfortable anymore.  At this point in time, it takes me at least 4-5 minutes running before I'm actually comfortable running, and I guess that's when you could say that I get into the zone.  But there are also days that it just feels awful and I never get there - it's a chore just to finish.   It may take a few months before you notice any of this, but if you continue on I believe you will notice it eventually and you'll see how cool it is.   Linn
Scott William
on 5/29/08 9:41 pm
I can't say that I have ever experienced, "the zone" except once on a 10 miler.  I think that you may have a problem because of the walk/run thing.  It's hard to get into a rhythm when you are stopping to walk every 4 minutes.  If you get to the point where you are running 3 or 4 miles without the walk breaks, you may find that you are hitting a good rhythm and getting in the zone.  I too take walk breaks and it's good on the body but isn't condusive to a good rhythm. As far as the treadmill, cover the display so that you can't see the time or distance.  Also, try not to look at any clocks.  That will make it easier to go farther on the TM.  I know it's tough when doing interval work but perhaps you can get a watch with a timer function to count off the two minuted for you.  I have done two 18 mile training runs on a treadmill.  I watched 3.5 hours of TV on there but I had the block of time and I knew that's what I was going to do so it wasn't that bad.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 5/29/08 10:26 pm - Long Island, NY
Andrea, I don't think I have ever gotten into the zone on the threadmill.  I am too aware of what I am doing and watching the time.  I enjoy my runs much more when I am outside and tend to zone out when I run outside. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Ruth A.
on 5/30/08 5:38 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Thanks for asking this question - it's one I've been wondering about too.  I'm at the point of 4 min run 1 min walk 4.5 min run 1 min walk 5 min run 1 min walk then 3 min run.  I can make it to the end of the 5 min run so far. Some days I'm more aware of the time than others but it usually has to do with what I'm watching on the TV screen!  I'd really like to get to the point where I run without being so aware of every second and every step. I guess we'll have to just keep at it and it'll probably happen when we are not looking!!!

misstilly
on 5/31/08 2:50 am - Cosby, TN
When I get on the treadmill and the sationary bike, the first thing I do is cover up the display.  I have my IPOD on and also watching TV so I can figure out how far I have gone that way and also my body begins to tell me that I am getting close to my time. Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Most Active