those exercise balls

liz A.
on 5/29/08 12:56 am
I need to tone up.  but by the time I get done with cardio, I feel like my evening is getting spent & I still have to walk the dog etc,  & end up leaving without the strength training.  this may sound hokey to some, but I dont want to leave my dog home alone for a vast majority of the day & want to come home & play with him...dont want him to feel neglected. soooo, this leads to my question:  are exercise balls as effective for strength training as the machines at the gym? thanks for any info!  

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Mifiremedic
on 5/29/08 1:44 am - MI
Exercise balls? Arent they a great core exercise tool? I think it would help supplement your strength training by incorporating strength training with using the ball.

Am I thinking of something else? Us Michiganders get eaasily confused, well at least the ones to the south..

Linn D.
on 5/29/08 2:16 am, edited 5/29/08 2:16 am - Missoula, MT
A lot of the ladies at my gym use the balls with weights so they do core training as well as strength training, though mostly upper body.  I'm of the opinion that since most cardio uses legs, that the need for strength training is mostly for upper body (but my legs are also huge).  Even if you just did push-ups using the ball you'd be surprised how much you could tone your arms and back - and your dog won't have to be home alone.   Linn
liz A.
on 5/29/08 3:06 am
I want to tone up my thighs.  I feel like they are saggy I dont like.   not one bit. and my dog is spoiled.  can you tell? 

-liz lemon

Zeldarin
on 5/29/08 3:17 am - IN
What about doing your strength training at the gym three days a week and doing your cardio with your dog on those days?  If he is a little dog and unable to keep up, maybe biking with him in a carrier or something.  The dog would love to be part of your workout!  That's just more time he gets to spend with you and outdoors.  My dog loves to go jogging, he doesn't want to come back home.  He will sit down and look away from me when I try to turn around and head back home.

HW/SW/CW/GOAL
217/206/145/136
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda April 8th/2010
Mini AL, Mini TT, Medial TL, BA, Lipo

liz A.
on 5/29/08 3:40 am
I do.  when we walk, we walk/jog.   but its hard,  cause he has to stop to pee on everything.  or sniff.  or poop. he likes it....but makes ME have to stop too much so its hard to keep up the pace.  so I'm trying to keep my running training seperate.  and his walks just a bonus exercise. Bruno runs to the door when I grab my shoes.  LOL he KNOWS.  I also have to spell w-a-l-k....or else hes ready to go again.

-liz lemon

Linn D.
on 5/29/08 3:58 am - Missoula, MT
OK Kellee, time for a reality check.  I looked at your photos on your profile.  Are your legs truly not toned or is it possible that what you see is loose skin?  I am toned, both upper and lower, but I still have skin that moves.  My legs and arms both still shake when I move and I have skin hanging out of my bra.  I hate it, but it's truly NOT a toning problem.  It's all about the skin.  I know you are running, so your legs are most likely pretty hard underneath the skin (I'd be willing to bet on this).  Anyway, if you really feel that way about it, you certainly CAN also tone legs using the ball, but I would suggest things like lunges and toe raises.   Linn   By the way, I see no problem having a spoiled dog! 
liz A.
on 5/29/08 5:05 am

do lunges help with loose skin?   LOL thats prob what it is, all I know is I feel they sag....and if there is something I can do to make them stop, I'm all over it.   *my inner critic is trying to remember what pics are on there.  ack! 

-liz lemon

Most Active