Does this forum ONLY respond to and help runners?????

muzakcon
on 5/28/08 3:19 pm - Fuquay Varina, NC
Hi....   On May 25th I posted for the first time on this board.....I am disappointed at the lack of interest in my question....I want to try it again....I am 2.5 years out....went from a size 26/28 to a 4.....I walk some for exercise...but have major knee problems....I now have the opportunity to join a local gym that has an indoor pool....but it is expensive...before I get into a 1 year contract I was hoping someone out there who uses swimming for exercise could respond ....is it worth the money to swim daily??? Will it tone my body the way running or weights tone other people....??? Surely I am not the ONLY person who has lost alot of weight that has "bad knees" and can not run????? Am I???? I would really really appreciate your input on this.....I notice that the "runners" have the most responses here .....but I am afraid I will never be part of that group.....Thank you...!!
Mifiremedic
on 5/28/08 8:30 pm - MI
Well lets see what I can do for you. First all, let me say this is not a "runners" only forum. However it looks that way because its the season for 5 & 10K run races. Many of us are aspiring triathletes, so we dabble in the water as well.

Now for your question. Until a month or so ago, I had been swimming quite regualrly ever since WLS. I really enjoyed and found it to be a good workout, and even a good core workout.

I think all if us have some sort of kneee problems, and would benefit from some sort of exercising that put less strain on our knees. Howwever for me, I need an exercise that keeps me entertained and challenged.

Many things Ive read says walking is just as healthy as running but you need to put in a few more miles. So dont think you need to start off your first day with running. Spend time outside walking and seeing how beautiful our country is.

I personally canceled my pool membership because I just dont use it during the Summer months. However, I am quite different than the average "Joe". Here in Michigan we have numerous manmade pools and plan to take full advantage of them..

Hope this helps, and sorry no one got back to you sooner.
Cassie W.
on 5/28/08 8:41 pm
Kim, I'm not a swimmer, but I would expect that similar priciples apply to swimming as to running.  The benefits will depend upon the intensity and specificity of your workout.   Adding different strokes, intervals, etc. would add to the quality of the workouts.  A friend of mine in college had awesome arms and shoulders because of her swim routine.  I was always jealous because she could wear tanks and strapless dresses because of what swimming did for her upper body. There are a few triathletes on the boards who may be able to give you a bit more information from their own experiences.  Do check with your surgeon before startinga swim program.  When I was investigating having a tummy tuck done, I had asked the doc if I could replace swimming for running  during my down time and he said to wait for 8 weeks because of the demands placed on the abdominals.  But, each surgeon is different. Congratulations on your weight loss and your commitment to incorporating exercise into your routine to maintain it. Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Scott William
on 5/28/08 9:51 pm
Since many of the responders here are runners,  many of the people *****spond here have running knowledge and not necessarily swimming knowledge.  There is one thing that I can guarantee.  There is no one who looked at your post and didn't respond if they knew the answer.  If they had an answer, they would respond.  There just aren't many swimmers but lots of runners. You may never be a runner but you are part of the exercise and fitness group and the WLS group so here is an answer - Yes it is worth the money to swim daily and your upper body will tone to a point.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
stitch0102
on 5/28/08 10:07 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
Swimming is excellent exercise but with a catch.  The better your stroke becomes, the more efficient you become.  This means you can actually burn fewer calories during the same amount of time.  Therefore you have to increse your time and/or intensity. Swimming will tone your muscles and can take some of the stress off your joints.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

Deanna34
on 5/29/08 1:53 am - Salem, OR
Well, I have lost a lot of weight and I have really bad knees and yet I still run!  I firmly believe that the expense of joining a gym is well worth it.  And you might find that they offer other activities that you can do, in spite of your knee problems.  Like yoga, weight lifting, etc.  I'm sure that swimming would be wonderful for you and I think you should go for it! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Linn D.
on 5/29/08 2:09 am - Missoula, MT
I did see your post and didn't think I had much I could say.  I couldn't run for over a year but don't really like to swim because I don't do it well.  I opted to take spinning classes and do weight lifting instead, but I maintained my gym membership.  ANY exercise is good exercise, and I just assumed that you knew that.  A lot of the ladies at my gym also do water aerobics.  I don't get much of a workout from it, but it keeps them moving and they love it, so there may be another option for you if you join this gym.  I live in Montana and would be lost without a gym membership.  Linn
muzakcon
on 5/29/08 8:23 am - Fuquay Varina, NC
Thanks to all of you *****sponded....My questions may seem like common sense to you folks...but I did not exercise for 21 years....THAT is RIGHT I said 21 years....and I need knee surgery...and I CAN NOT run....but I can walk...short distances....1 mile or so.....I am trying to get as excited about exercise as most of  you seem to be...but the short distance I can walk is not toning my legs the way I need them to be toned....before a thigh lift....Thanks again to all *****sponded.....
Most Active