First biathlon questions

MaryS
on 5/27/08 11:12 pm - Long Island, NY
This weekend I am registerd to do my first biathlon, run 2 miles, bike 12 miles, run 2 miles.  I hope I don't chicken out!   How fast would you say an "average" person goes during the biking portion of the race?  I've only gotten out to ride once this year.  Also, is it worthwhile to change into my bike shoes?  I don't have clipless pedals, so I could bike in my running shoes, but the bike shoes do provide more levage for pedaling due to the stiffer sole.  Does the transition from biking to running gets easier as you get into the run?  After my bike ride I ran about a 1/4 mile to see how it would feel, and it was pretty weird.   Thanks, Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Rob S.
on 5/28/08 12:00 am - DE

Mary, It is definitely worthwhile changing shoes.  Your toes will thank you, and it really doesn't take that long to change them.  When you transition from running to biking your legs may take about 100-200 yards to adjust since you are using different muscles, but the hamstrings should stretch out once you get into gear.  You might want to bring a bucket to sit on to change your shoes. The average person should be able to maintain a 15-17 mph bike ride for 12 miles.  I like to set my goal at 2.5-3.5 minutes per mile depending on the course and distance.   Good luck.  I think I'm passing up the duathalon this year, and just focusing on getting in a couple of halfs and some century rides on the bike.  You should have fun, although you'll find there are a lot of ringers with tri bikes, expensive helmets and gear.  The goal should be to finish and have some fun. Rob

Deanna34
on 5/28/08 1:32 am - Salem, OR
Mary, you will do great!  I don't have any words of wisdom but I wanted to wish you well.  I can't wait to hear your report!  May I ask what kind of bike do you have?  I'd like to get into duathlons eventually.  Good luck; you'll do great! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Most Active