Running/Jogging Shoes

A. Pack
on 5/27/08 12:49 am
I live about 2 hours from the nearest running shop therefore I can not be fitted for the proper shoes anytime soon.  Can any of you make recommendations on what I should look for and also if you could tell me what shoes are working for you I would greatly appreciate your help!
Mifiremedic
on 5/27/08 12:58 am - MI
I am no where near an expert when it comes to shoes. I'm sure others will give you some great advice, but in the meantime I will give you my 2 cents worth.

If I didnt live anywhere near a running shop then I might go to a local shoe store and have them measure you so you knew exactly what size you should be wearing.

Then I would find some running magazines and see what kind of running shoes are recomended. From there I would search those stores around you for one of those recomended shoes that you found in the running magazine.

If you couldnt find the shoes locally then I would maybe find a good excuse to drive that 2 hours to check out the running store. However, I am quite positive you could find a good pair of shoes locally.

I'm sure that made no sense... h aha

How much are you running now?

Good luck to you.

Curt
Linn D.
on 5/27/08 2:21 am - Missoula, MT
Another option, and it has worked very well for me, would be to use the RoadRunnerSports.com website.  I have a bit of a low arch so I use a stability shoe, but don't need so much control as a motion control shoe will give because my running gait is mostly good.  I've used shoes from Foot Locker before, but they don't last as well and my feet tend to hurt more.  I get all my shoes online from Road Runner Sports (usually on sale) and I do very well with them.  They also have a 60-day return policy so if you get some and they don't work out, you can send them back and get another pair.  I generally can use the same size in all brands, but I have wide feet so I look for ones that say they have a roomy toe box.  Heavier runners can also use an extra cushioning shoe.  I didn't look to see how much you weigh, but I weigh about 155.  They recommend the extra cushioning and shoes would probably last me better if I used it, but I prefer the lighter shoes.  If you have good arches and have a good foot strike, neutral shoes would be fine for you.  The website has some great tools as well as a toll-free number you can call to help you figure out they best shoe for your foot.  They are also known for having very good customer service, and I would highly recommend using their site if getting to a shop isn't going to happen.  You can also send in your old shoes (they used to do this a few years ago) and they will tell you more about your running style and shoe needs.  I was pretty sure of what I needed and ordered a pair, sent the old ones to be looked at, and found out I was right on the money.  I hope this helps some.  Linn
Mifiremedic
on 5/27/08 2:37 am - MI
I had a feeling you would have some great advice...

Curt
Scott William
on 5/27/08 4:24 am
I also have used Road Runner Sports and have been happy with them.  One word of caution, though.  If they suggest that you size a particular shoe up a size, do it.  I ran a marathon in a shoe that was too small.  It hurt. I am sure that they have a way to determine which shoe you should be in.   They may have you do a test where you wet your foot and step on paper to see if you have a flat foot or a high arch.  That will tell you if you need stability or not.  That is a good start. I will also tell you that I have used the Asics Evolution line and like them a lot.  The Asics Foundation were also good but they were the ones that were too small. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
panhead58fl
on 5/27/08 6:18 am - Barboursville, WV
 http://www.footlocker.com/content/custserv/help-- runningRunningShoes/http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/info/index.jsp?categoryId=222919&backTo=2866814&infoType=infosport#C http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/shoe-guide.html here are some links to sites that will explain it, I like the last one best , it gives pictures and tells you what to look for with your shoes. pan headhere are some links to sites that will explain it, I like the last one best , it gives pictures and tells you what to look for with your shoes.pan head
Most Active