Advice needed...running/weights/lack of motivation ...

Mifiremedic
on 5/27/08 10:26 am - MI
Thats exactly what I was trying to say.. Thanks for backing me up. h aha
Earl C.
on 5/27/08 1:59 pm - Circleville, OH
Hey Deanna, If your goal is doing the marathon you should train for that and drop the lifting until you have more energy and time. The weight training isn't doing you any good if you can't recover from the workouts. Taking a few weeks or a month off from training every 6 month or year is actually good for you if you've been hitting it hard. Same thing with the running. After the race take a week off running to let your body rest. A friend and I are in the same boat. It's throwing season and there is just so much  your body can handle physically and finding enough hours in the day for all the training is impossible some days. So we throw more, lift when we can and do the basics. I know some Olympic shot putters when track season is in full force will only do squats and bench press once or twice a week and concentrate on throwing more. And have fun. Earl
Scott William
on 5/27/08 9:42 pm
I am in agreement with everyone else.  Drop the weights until after the half.  I might even take it a step farther and put the cardio class on hold also.  You will peek at the right time.  After the half take a few days off and see how you feel.  Every few months, I take a week off and it's nice to not have to think about running for a time.  I do feel guilty but I guess that ensures that I will get back at it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 5/27/08 10:53 pm - Long Island, NY

Deanna,

I'd agree with everyone here, you need to give you body time to recovery.  I'd suggest dropping the cardio class, you are doing cardio 6 times a week. If you like to do cardio, you might want to run 3 times a week and do one cardio class.  I also agree with the suggestion to drop the weights until after your half - it's only 2 weeks away.  Then I would go back to the weights, I think they are super important, especially for women.

I hope you are feeling better soon! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active