Sunday Run and Possible Anemia Problems

puddin2day
on 5/27/08 6:49 am - Los Angeles, CA

Well I did my long run on Sunday at Griffith Park ( 6 miles) and I did not like it at all.  I run/walk at the rate of 50 secs/2 mins and I burned out before my running time is up (mostly).  I took my asthma inhaler before I left home, but still had difficultly breathing.   So, I decided that I needed to do some reading to see what is going on.  What I found is that anemia mimics exhaustion- shortness of breath, dizziness and estreme  fatigue.  I did some blood work a month ago and while my iron was within the acceptable range (on the low end), my hemoglobin was very low.  This past weekend, I purchased some iron pills (Vitron-C), so I am hoping that will work.  Has anyone experienced what I have described? I was hoping to increase my running time by 10 seconds every 2 weeks, so that by the time I did the Long Beach Half-Marathon in October , I would be up to 1.50 mins of running time (with 2 mins. walking).  I am going to repeat  this running week  and take note on how I react with the iron. If anyone has any suggestions regarding this, I would apprecicate it. Kim

Without struggle, there is no progress.

Linn D.
on 5/27/08 7:51 am, edited 5/27/08 7:52 am - Missoula, MT
Hey Kim, When I first started training for my marathon I did have some anemia problems.  I know my iron was low because I tried donating plasma and my hematocrit was WAY low (like 29).  I did start on iron pills and started eating more iron-rich foods (besides red meat which I eat often anyway).  The research I did said that people who increase their intensity or exercise time can easily develop anemia because we will lose iron from our feet (sweat, pounding).  It helped me a lot and my training went much better.  I don't take iron every day anymore, but often enough that I haven't had those same feelings of exhaustion.  By the way, I felt exhausted ALL DAY not just when exercising.  Hope you figure it out soon and things get easier.  Linn  PS I can't believe they didn't give you advice for the low Hb.  You can't carry enough oxygen if you don't have enough Hb.  Without iron, you can't make hemoglobin! 
puddin2day
on 5/27/08 8:01 am, edited 5/27/08 8:02 am - Los Angeles, CA
Linn, Thank you for your reply.  No dr. has addressed  on how to deal with this.  If anything, my endocrinologist said that I don't need iron pills (about a month ago).  The last part of your post really struck a nerve for me.  I know it's true.   I have to do my 30 minute run this evening and I am going to see how that works out .  I have only taken the iron for 2 days.   Edit: I forgot to mention that I have on my monthly for 2.5 weeks. Kim

Linn D.
on 5/27/08 8:28 am - Missoula, MT
Just a couple other things.  If your B12 is low also, you may have a hard time making new red blood cells since it is required, but I assume you take a sublingual at least once a week.  When you take the iron, be sure to take it with some sort of vitamin C because it absorbs better.  I usually take mine sometime between meals with juice to get the best effect.  I think it took me over a week to start feeling more normal, so give it time and just do the best you can.  By the way, I just took a medical physiology class and some of this was addressed in class.  Linn
puddin2day
on 5/27/08 8:32 am - Los Angeles, CA
Linn, I have learned something new today.  Thank you.  I take a sublingual B-12 everyday.   The Vitron-C tablets have 200mg of Vitamin C within each pill.  I take mine when I first get up in the morning ****ep a bottle of water by my bed).  I have learned that iron is best taken on an empty stomach. Kim

Kevin A.
on 5/27/08 9:06 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Hey Kimmie!!

My suggestion is to slow down your 50 second pace. I seen the way you start races!! Your training runs should be at 1-2 minutes slower than your regular pace. After a while you gain more speed with the more you run..

Hope that helps!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
puddin2day
on 5/27/08 9:18 am - Los Angeles, CA

Question, Kevin.  I am not sure how to word this, but how do I gauge when I am 1 -2 minutes slower? Thank you, Kimmie

Kevin A.
on 5/28/08 1:46 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I keep track of my times for ever mile I run. So I know how fast or slow I'm running. If I trying to slow down my pace I change my run/walk more walking. When I did the Santa Monica 10K I did a 3 minute run/1 mintue walk. But for longer runs I might do a 2/2 or a 1/2 to slow my pace down.. But the more I run I also found I'm able to have more control of how fast or slow I run.

So when your running run just fast enough so you can still talk while your running and not be out of breath!! See if that works!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
puddin2day
on 5/29/08 4:06 am - Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Kevin.   I will take note of my time per mile. Kimmie

MaryS
on 5/27/08 11:04 pm - Long Island, NY
Kim, I haven't had any experience with this, so my only suggestion is have your spoken with your bariatric surgeon's office.  Maybe an iron infusion is in order to get you level up faster??  I hope that this resolves soon for you. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active