TriAmerica Triathlon Long Course Race Report

kypdurran
on 5/26/08 5:13 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Man oh man what a challenge THAT was.   I finished dead ass last and with only 1 sock but I finished.   Gastric distress was the cause of my last place finish but I finished!

Race report and pics are up at http://www.team464.com/triamerica-louisiana2008/

Mifiremedic
on 5/26/08 6:13 am - MI
Chad,

Congratulations on your most recent finish. Like I have always said, the mind is a very powerful tool. It can either overpower a person negatively or positively. From reading your race report, it looks like you faced both on the same race. Sounds like you learned alot about yourself, which is you can go beyond what you think you can.

Absolutely great race report as well...

Curt
Cassie W.
on 5/26/08 9:23 am
Chad, You are truly amazing!  You certainly reached deep inside yourself to pull this one off.  I do wish that Beth had one of those cameras with the super long lens so we could see what you look like in green dreadlocks. I do have a tip for those gastric problems - not to stop them - but to save your socks.  The  flushable wipes take up less space than TP and fit nicely into a little snack-size baggie.  I've used them much too often. Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Linn D.
on 5/26/08 3:17 pm - Missoula, MT
Boy do I know how you feel!  Even though it was a rough day, you beat it rather than the other way around.  Yep, lots of training and a little more learning what you can do that will help with the cramps and runner's trots, but you WILL meet your goal.  I have NO doubt about that!  Take care of yourself, and you may want to sit the next one or two out to let yourself heal.  It may just be that you're doing more training or races than your body's used to in too short a time frame and that's contributing to the distress.  I still have troubles when I work on increasing speed, and I rarely know from one day to the next how bad it will be.  You did great and don't talk yourself out of believing that!  Linn
Rob S.
on 5/26/08 9:51 pm - DE
Great job, Chad!  Starting these races is really the most important part of the race, finishing is just icing on the cake.  And finishing last is extremely relative, since there are so many people in this world that could never even undertake even one segment of the event you just finished.  I really appreciate your journals.  They really are great motivational tools for all of us.  Now as far as the sock goes...  Maybe next time you should carry an extra pair of socks.  Rest up for awhile now so you can get back into training.  Don't envy the hot weather down there. Rob
Dan_P.
on 5/27/08 12:01 am - Baltimore, MD
Chad.  Can you attribute anything to the gastointestinal distress? I'm trying to figure out nutrition and longer runs myself. So far it's been the lower sugar gatorade (G2). Looking for what works/doesn't work for you. Congrats on another milestone reached. -Dan
kypdurran
on 5/27/08 1:22 am - Baton Rouge, LA

I had limited success with a med that my doc prescribed called Bromine or something.  I'll have to look on the bottle when I get home.   Accelerade never really gave me any issues until Sunday either.   I think the problem was the meals I ate on Saturday.   I should have eaten very light but I ended up eating meat, corn and a bunch of other crap.  

What works kinda for me and it's really hit and miss but peanut butter seems to do the trick and unfortunately I didn't have any on Sunday.  

Kevin A.
on 5/27/08 1:08 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Wow!! Amazing!! I don't know how you keep going after all those "Gastric Distress"!! Wow!! I don't think there anything you would let stop you from finishing!! Great race!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Deanna34
on 5/27/08 12:11 pm - Salem, OR
Chad, you poor thing!  Although I have to admit I got a good chuckle out of the sock story!  Sorry!!!  But it was kind of humerous!  I'm sure you don't think so though ... but you did GREAT finishing that race!  You should be very, very proud of yourself!  Now, I have an idea about the sock situation ... you can carry an extra pair rolled up ... you know where to stick them.  It would probably make for a good profile picture too! Haha, sorry, I couldn't resist!!! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

MaryS
on 5/27/08 10:57 pm - Long Island, NY
Chad, Congratulations on the fini**** really does prove the power of the mind when it comes to completing these races.  Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active