Buffalo Marathon Memorable - PR

Cassie W.
on 5/26/08 12:19 pm, edited 5/26/08 8:20 pm

Thanks to y’all, I finished the Buffalo Marathon Sunday in under 5 hours!  Curt said to think of all of you when the miles got tough and that’s exactly what I did.  My official chip time was 4:55:24, almost an hour better than my first marathon in Philadelphia in November 2007. Saturday, we drove to Buffalo and checked into the host hotel, which was overbooked with marathoners, Elks conventioneers, wedding guests and beauty pageant contestants.  Fortunately, we brought air mattresses for my boys, so they had a place to sleep when only a king room was available.

After check-in, we went to the expo to pick up our packets and I had a free foot/ankle screening by a physical therapist, who identified several bio-mechanical problems with my feet that would benefit from functional exercises.  He recommended that I tape my “problem” foot for the marathon and showed me how to apply it.  I’m sure he hasn’t read the “runners’ rulebook” that clearly explains that you don’t try anything new on race day.

Well, wouldn’t you know it - as soon as I started walking around the expo with my foot all taped up, it started to hurt.  Phantom pain? Real pain?  Who knows!  I ripped that tape off faster than you can say 5K.

Now foot loose and fancy free, we walked to St. Anthony’s Church Hall, for the free pasta dinner, where the beer flowed freely.  Although I’m not a beer drinker, my husband, Art, and my running partner, Marlee, enjoy the stuff and I was getting a little nervous for them when they had finished their fifth round.  They were clearly taking the laid back approach to their first marathon.  When they started craving chicken wings later that evening, I burned off a bit of nervous energy and walked the mile to the Anchor Bar for a bucket of original Buffalo wings.  Then I had my half a glass of wine to knock me out ‘til morning.

Sunday, the alarm went off at 5 a.m. to give me plenty of time to have my coffee, wait for nature to take its course, and eat my pre-marathon meal, which consisted of a banana and a peanut butter protein bar.  I’m normally pretty organized, but I kept misplacing everything that morning.  By the time we got to the starting line, we were 10 minutes from race time and there wasn’t an opportunity for a final trip to the loo.

Despite the last minute ru**** truly was a glorious morning with 50-degree temperatures and bright blue skies, just perfect for running.  The Buffalo Marathon is a relatively small race with only 850 entrants (710 finishers).  After the first few blocks, our numbers swelled as the 1816 half-marathon runners joined our ranks to complete the first 13.1 miles on the combined course. 

Art was going to hang out with Marlee and I until we reached the first photographer, but his engine was revving.  We set him loose in the first half mile to run his own race.  He was shooting for a finishing time between 4 and 4.5 hours, while Marlee and I hoped to finish in 5.5 hours. 

Early in the race, as we were approaching the Lake Erie waterfront, the elite runners came flying by and I welled up with pride, knowing that regardless of my time, I was here running the same event. 

The miles zoomed by and before we knew it, Marlee and I had finished the first 13 miles in about 2 hours and 15 minutes – faster than our previous half marathons.  We weren’t sure if that was good or bad.  Had we gone out too fast and now risked bonking early?  Or were the stars perfectly aligned for an amazing finish?

Since we missed the loo at the start, we had to make a quick pit stop and resumed our pace for the second half.  Somewhere around mile 16, Marlee started having stomach problems and within the next mile she was urging me to go on ahead.  I resisted, but she insisted.   I went on ahead, but slowed my pace and she caught up with me around mile 19.  About two miles later, she was sending me on my way again.

I didn’t hit the wall until mile 23.  After going up a slight incline, my hamstrings started to quiver in rebellion.  Buffalo is a pretty flat course and those muscles didn’t like the change after all those miles.  I wanted to walk, but I looked down at my Garmin and saw that I had just finished 23 miles in 4 hours and 15 minutes.  A sub-five marathon was in my grasp if I could just keep running.

So, for the next 3+ miles, I drew my strength from y’all.  I remembered Curt’s post and I started repeating your names with every step . . . Curt, Mary, Linn, Scott, Joe, Kim, Rob, Deanna, Kellee, etc. over and over.  I’m sure the folks I passed on my way to the finish thought I was nuts. Curt, Mary, Linn, Scott . . . “She’s delirious.  We’ll see her in the medical tent.”  Joe, Kim, Rob, Deanna. . . .

I can do this.  Only 2.2 miles to go.  Curt, Mary, Linn, Scott . . . Just 1.2 miles.  I can do this. 

The clock read 4:56:00 as I crossed the finish line, with a chip time of 4:55:24 (11:17 pace).  My friend wasn’t that far behind at 5:04:08.  My husband ran an amazing 4:18:01 for his first marathon.  It truly was a memorable Memorial Day weekend!  Thanks for being part of it.

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Mifiremedic
on 5/26/08 12:32 pm - MI
Cassie,

Congratulations on your PR in the Marathon. As I read the part about getting your ankles taped, I found myself saying "No, dont do anything new", and then you realized it yourself. ha ha

I'm glad I was with you during those tough miles. I will continue to say it, the mind is VERY strong...

Your an inspiration for me, as I work towards a Marathon or Half Mary late this year..

Congrats..

Curt
Cassie W.
on 5/26/08 8:19 pm, edited 5/26/08 8:19 pm

Curt,  Although I knew I wasn't going to wear the tape for the marathon, I didn't think there was any harm in letting him illustrate how to tape it for future training runs.  I'm sure the ache that I felt at the expo was mental alarm bells going off, warning me not to be lured into trying something new - not even if recommended by a medical professional. Thanks again and good luck with your own training.   Cassie

Linn D.
on 5/26/08 2:54 pm - Missoula, MT
WAY TO GO CASSIE!!!  You had a FABULOUS race, and I'm glad your running partner sent you ahead.  She did great as well.  Hey, how did your husband do?  Did he meet his goal?  Thanks for posting this and be sure to get enough rest before you move on to your next challenge.  Take care of  yourself!  Linn
Cassie W.
on 5/26/08 8:36 pm
Thanks Linn. My husband's goal was to finish between 4 and 4.5 hours and he came in at 4:18, about where he expected.   He was a little disappointed because he felt a sub-four marathon was within his grasp until he tweaked his knee between mile 17 and 18.  The pain forced him to run/walk the last 8 miles or so.  Going into the race, he thought that this may be his one and only marathon, but I'm sure he'll try another one.  He wants to see what's possible if an injury doesn't get in the way. We'll all rest up this week and then it's back to training for the Boilermaker 15K July 13th. Cassie

Rob S.
on 5/26/08 9:31 pm - DE
Cassie, I am amazed at your success!  Congratulations on breaking the five hour window.  It sounds like everything went perfect for you.  It is great to have a running partner who understands when it is time to break loose.  And I know what you mean about those hamstrings.  Although I have only completed the half so far, I remember the last two miles being extremely daunting.  Rest up and enjoy your labors, and I look forward to hearing about your next success.  You are definitely a runner! Rob
Dan_P.
on 5/26/08 11:00 pm - Baltimore, MD
Congrats Cassie! What a great weekend and new personal best. Thanks for all you do to continue to support and inspire. -Dan
puddin2day
on 5/27/08 2:38 am - Los Angeles, CA
Cassie, You did a great job.  I am so proud of you.  So many details of race day....wonderful!  I am glad you had a great time and support from a running partner and your hubby. Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Scott William
on 5/27/08 4:53 am
Wow Cassie,  Awesome job.  Most of me is incredibly happy and proud of you on running a great race.  A small part is pissed that you just raised the bar.  Way to go!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Cassie W.
on 5/27/08 10:41 am
Scott,  you set the bar pretty high with the Goofy.  That challenge is still calling my name thanks to you.  Maybe in 2010. Cassie

Most Active