How do you know...knee injury

KTBee
on 5/25/08 3:04 am
Okay, I need some wisdom...how do you know when to keep going or take a break when you have a knee that is giving you problems? A while back, I was working into running and my knee really started bothering me (below the knee cap and on the outside).  When I bend it, it crunches.  I decided to stick with power walking, elliptical, and weight training and forgo the running.  But the knee has gotten worse.  It is swollen and hurts unless I am sitting still (but I still feel it then).  I have been battling with it feeling like it is tightening up.  My last workout was on Thursday and I tried that black strap that fits under your knee.  It let me get through my workout without too much discomfort but after I took it off, it was sort of like a rebound affect and the next day my knee was really swollen. I have called the orthopedist but can't get in until June 10 although they have me on the list to call if they have a cancellation.  I am afraid of losing my great progress if I baby it but I don't want to push through if it will damage it longer term and sideline me.  How do you know when to take it easy and how do you take it easy but still maintain results? Thanks so much guys and gals.  I appreciate your expertise and experience! Katy B
Linn D.
on 5/26/08 3:26 pm - Missoula, MT
KT,  I have a long history of knee pain, and though I don't have any real good advice, if it gets worse, it's time to rest it.  I am prone to IT band tightness and even though you can sometimes do stretches and still be able to run, my last time required rest.  I usually loosen up as I run, but if I don't it is definitely time to get checked out.  You may have a torn meniscus or a mild tendon or ligament problem.  Don't pu**** until after you see the orthopod to rule out any tears.  You could try swimming if you have access to a pool.  That should not cause any increase in knee pain and would definitely keep you doing some cardio work.  I wish I could help you more, but it is so much better to err on the side of caution when dealing with knee pain.  Linn
KTBee
on 5/27/08 1:52 am
Linn, Thanks so much for the info.  It does help.  I will try the water option.  I don't want to lose any ground but it has not gotten better and it has really gotten tight and painful even when I am sitting still.  So I am resting it and then picking up water aerobics later this week.  Thanks again. Katy
Most Active