New To The Board w/ A Workout Question...

dreamgirl119
on 5/24/08 8:29 pm - Lansdowne, PA
Since my WLS I have never had to work out alone.  I've always had a Personal trainer and I think or feel I'm going to be lost without him. I am about to change jobs where I will no longer be home during the day and will not be able to work our with my PT.  All of my weight training workouts except for my walking were focused on Mon, Wed, Fri, & Sat. in the AM.  How do I keep my focus? Do you go to a gym or do you workout at home?

MaryS
on 5/24/08 9:01 pm - Long Island, NY
 I know for me the big thing about having a trainer is the accountablity, if I don't show up I have to pay for the session anyway.  I think the best thing is to set a schedule a stick to it.   Is there anyone who you can arrange to meet at the gym for accountability?  Is there a trainer who is available during your off hours.  Most importantly, remember how far you came and how great you feel after a workout. Good luck, Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

dreamgirl119
on 5/24/08 10:12 pm - Lansdowne, PA
Hi Mary, I really haven't asked around about a workput patner, but I will keep that open as an option.
KTBee
on 5/25/08 2:53 am
I am going through the exact change you are!  I am worried about it and have worked with the trainer to segue into my own workouts.  She will be checking up on me monthly and getting together with me to change my workout occassionally.  We have moved into working out at a local gym that I ride my bike to and from.  It has helped me to get away from the house to do the workouts.  I was never very interested in the gym but now I guess I feel stronger and like it more.   Right now I am battling with a knee problem that has caused me to cancel Friday, Saturday and Monday's workout but as soon as I have that behind me, I am planning on trying some of the classes they have at the gym, too.  My plan is to put little stickers on a calendar for the days that I workout.  I know that sounds childish but I think it will motivate me to see them and know that I need to keep the continuity up.  I feel great from working out and love the dramatic changes in my body, so I am relying on that to be a motivator also.  To be honest, the thought of getting away from the phones and house is pretty appealing.  I forget everything and come home with a refreshed attitude and enthusiasm.  At home it is easy to focus on all I have to do instead of what I need to do for me. Katy
dreamgirl119
on 5/25/08 10:11 am - Lansdowne, PA
Thanks Katy the stickers on the calendar sounds like a good idea...almost like a star for good work.
K B (Tucson)
on 5/25/08 3:52 pm - Tucson, AZ
Any reason you can't work with your trainer in the evenings?  I do.  All the trainers at my gym work in the evening.  Pehaps you could look for another training gym if your trainer does not wrok in the evenings.  I thought at first that working out at night would be too much for me after a long day of work and other responsibiities, but this works out well for me.  I am no more tired after working out in the evening than if i had done it earlier in the day and in fact, for me, I have more energy for excercise in the evening. Mornings are for sleeping in my mind. I am also supplimenting private training with a circuit training class through my town's community college.  I know I am still more motivate to see my trainer than work in a group, but I am trying to rev up my aerobic training and at the same time see if I can maintain committemnt to excercise without one-on-one supervision.
Most Active