Hi! Im new! and running my first 5K tomorrow!

J. M.
on 5/24/08 10:25 am
Hi!  Im 11 months post op and from the Philadelphia area. I just now thought about looking on here to see if there was an exercise board and found it!!! Im running the Teal Ribbon 5k for Ovarian Cancer tomorrow and am really nervous. I know I can do it, because Ive been training all winter and can run up to almost 5 miles. My concern is this: Sometimes I feel this sharp pain/pull after I exert a lot of energy when exerciseng.  I am aware of internal hernia, but dont think that is it.  It goes away after I stop, but Im  really worried it will do it while Im running tomorrow and I wont be able to finish the race.(It happened in my last run a few days ago). Does anyone else have this problem????

~ Jen   

Deanna34
on 5/24/08 10:36 am - Salem, OR
Hi there!  It's great to meet you!  You will do great for your 5K ... if you can do 5 miles you are above and beyond what you'll need to do tomorrow.  You will do awesome!  I get a sharp pain (more of a discomfort) if I haven't drank enough water.  But nothing major ... I hope whatever you are experiencing isn't anything too terrible!  Let us know how it goes tomorrow! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Linn D.
on 5/24/08 11:14 am - Missoula, MT
Glad you found us!  I don't have your problem, but I have been known to get side aches.  I got one during the fastest 5k I ever did, walked a bit, and ended up finishing well anyway.  Don't worry too much about it.  Just enjoy the experience and listen to your body.  This is a great board and I hope you spend more time here!  Good luck on your 5k tomorrow!   Linn
Scott William
on 5/24/08 11:50 am
Congrats on your first and not last 5K.  You will do awesome.  If you are really concerned about the pain, run at your normal pace.  If you think you can pu**** go for it.  Good luck and make sure you post a report.  We will be waiting!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 5/24/08 9:04 pm - Long Island, NY
Sorry, I don't have any advice on the pain.   I do want to wish you luck with your race today.  Sounds like you have trained well, I'm sure you will do great. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

liz A.
on 5/24/08 10:42 pm
Hi! no clue on the pain, but wanted to say hi and have fun on your 5k!

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Most Active