wetsuit?

Seht
on 5/22/08 12:16 pm
So when do you need a wetsuit? I was reading the info for the event I want to do in September, they say water temp is going to be 70 degrees and wetsuits are approved for this race. I have no idea what swimming in 70 degree water is going to be like. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kypdurran
on 5/22/08 1:04 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Scott 70 degrees is somewhat cold, at least it is to me.  In a wetsuit you can expect to be cold for around 30 seconds before you body heats up.   A trick someone told me was to yank at the seam on the neck and let the cold water in.  It sucks for a few seconds but after you ge****er inside the thin layer between your skin and the wetsuit neoprene heats up quickly and you are good to go. 

Wetsuits are legal up to 79 degrees in USAT sanctioned races.  You CAN wear them up to 84 degrees in some races but you won't be eligible for any awards should you place.   You also gain a significant amount of bouyancy while wearing a wetsuit and even more if you are in sal****er.  

A big mistake I made would be not training in it at all.  I would suggest that you train a few times before the event in it so you can adjust to the tightness too.  It WILL restrict your breathing a bit which will cause you to tire quicker than without it.  

Seht
on 5/22/08 3:01 pm
I may need to do this first swim without one.  My wife is going to have a cow when I tell her I need to spend more money (new shoes, pedals, etc.) Thanks for the info. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Mifiremedic
on 5/22/08 11:29 pm - MI
Ha Ha.. Arent triathlons addicting and expensive.

Well here is my little secret. If I asked the wife for a $1 to buy a beverage, she will ***** and complain because Im spending money.

However, in the past month, I have spent money on registering for 2 road races, 3 triathlons, a Cervelo Tri bike, Pedals, bike shoes, bike computer, HRM, goggles, swimming wear, fins, nearly $100 running shoes, and today a wetsuit. And not once has she even complained about the money. Because she knows, I am so much healthier now than ever, and if I continue to buy new stuff then I will stay active.

As for the wetsuit, before you buy a wetsuit, rent one and see how it goes. Also join a local triathlon club, because many clubs get discounts from their sponsors. For example, we get 40% off from a wetsuit vendor because they are also a sponsor.

Good luck...
Most Active