Century training

kdakj
on 5/21/08 1:33 pm - TX
Does anyone know of a good, free website with a training schedule for riding a century? A couple from the Texas board, along with myself are preparing for the Hotter n Hell 100 from Wichita Falls to Lubbock in August. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,  Denise
Linn D.
on 5/22/08 8:56 am - Missoula, MT
Denise, What a fabulous goal!  I don't know how much a week you currently ride, but I would say that you should work your way up the same way runners do.  Runners are told to increase the distance by about 10% a week, and that's what I saw for riding as well.  If I were you, I would train similarly to what I did for running a marathon.  I would do two easy rides about 40-45 min each (at the beginning and working up to an hour as you progress); one shorter, faster ride that covers about the same distance (or a little more); and one long ride.  I'd say to work the distance of the long ride up from 15 or 20 at the beginning to about 75 miles at least 2-3 weeks before the actual 100-mile ride.  Taper off the last week or two so your legs are fresh, and I'm sure you'll have a great ride.  Linn
Most Active