what a difference a shoe can make

liz A.
on 5/20/08 5:39 am
I got new shoes today.  actual running shoes that the worker guy helped determine were best for me, rather than the ones at kohls under a sign that says "running".     (not that there is anything wrong with kohls.) oh.  my.  gosh. what a difference.  i was wasting soooooooooo much energy!!   I knew they would make some difference but didnt realize how much.   crazy.

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

puddin2day
on 5/20/08 6:07 am - Los Angeles, CA
Good for you, Kellee.  A great shoe will make your running so much more enjoyable. Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Mifiremedic
on 5/20/08 9:27 am - MI
Kellee,

It's funny you posted such a posting. I have been having some heel problems, and believe its from my less than adequate running shoes. I have a podiatrist appointment Thursday, and curious what he will say.

How did the "professional" decide what kind of shoe you needed? What else did they have to say about your running style?

Thanks
panhead58fl
on 5/21/08 12:46 am - Barboursville, WV

Not meaning to answer for her but I can tell you what I did. First they had me to take off my shoes and socks and walk back and forth several times. He was watching my gate and how my foot worked when I walked. He also looked at how my foot was made; high arches or low arches, he then measured both feet. I found out that I have one foot that is a half size bigger than the other. He then brought out different shoes for me to try on. I tried on four different brands. He would have to walk back and forth with one brand on one foot and another on the other. When I chose the brand that felt the best. I put both shoes on and then went for a walk on their treadmill and worked up to a run. Well worth the time invested. I had done some research online and he confirmed what I had already learned. After buying a pair from him I found the same brand on ebay and bought another pair to keep at work that I walk in at lunch. I felt that I should buy the first pair from him for the time he invested in getting me the proper shoe. I had learned online that I needed a cushioned shoe. I went to a Foot Locker in the mall and asked to see what they had in a cushioned shoe and she said they all have cushioning in them. She had no idea there were different types of running shoes. I thanked her and that is when I went to the running shop.  pan head

Mifiremedic
on 5/21/08 12:49 am - MI
PanHead,

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to visit a running store this evening on my way to get my triathlon wetsuit. I am having some heel pain, and I'm sure it 's from poorly constructed shoes or worn out shoes...

Thanks again
Scott William
on 5/20/08 2:32 pm
Kind of feel like you are running on air?  Nice isn't it!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
panhead58fl
on 5/21/08 12:27 am - Barboursville, WV
I too was amazed at the difference the right type of shoe can make. I went to a running shop and they did the same thing and had me try on and walk in and run on there treadmill until I found the right pair. I tried on about four different brands. Best $90 I ever spent. pan head
Jo C.
on 5/21/08 9:46 am - CABAZON, CA
When you say running shop what kind of stores are these? Are they in the mall? Can you give me the name of the store and I'll check to see if I have one near me.

Thanks

JO
Mifiremedic
on 5/21/08 10:02 am - MI
Jo,

This is a sensitive area, because dont want to rule out a chain store that has good shoes. Chain stores, etc apparently are known for lower quality shoes, and maybe even less than professional advice.

I just got back from a local store that specializes in swimming, running, soccer, etc. It was the first time someone wanted to see how I walked. And they actually looked as though they knew what they were doing.

I bit the bullet and spent $90 (after my triathlon club discount), and I am very happy with my shoes. Cant wait to run tomorrow..

My suggestion is to ask people you know who run and find out where they go....
liz A.
on 5/21/08 10:47 am
I used gazelles.   my friend used dicks.  but I dont know if those are nationwide or not.

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Most Active