5K and 10K race reports!!!

Deanna34
on 5/19/08 12:48 am - Salem, OR
Well, I did it ... I ran a 5K on Saturday and then a 10K on Sunday!  This was all part of the Iris Festival in my town and we rarely have running events here so I took advantage of it and did both events!  The 5K on Saturday was miserable, absolutely miserable!  It was 90-degrees and NO shade and I was way overheated.  We've had this heat wave that just came on in the last week so I'm not accustomed to it yet ... last weekend I ran in 48 degree weather so 90 degrees was a shocker to my body!  Anyway, I finished in 33 minutes which was great to me seeing as I had to stop and get some water part way through!  The 10K on Sunday was awesome though!  My friend ran with me ... she had a baby 3 months ago and has just started running again so I kept a slow pace to encourage her.  It felt great to be the motivator and give her pep talks along the way to keep her moving ... we ran the whole way but at a slower pace and finished in 1:19.  My slowest time ever on a 10K but it was worth it to help motivate her!   --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

rreiny
on 5/19/08 1:06 am - Epsom, NH
Its great to do these runs - congrats on running a pretty good race in that heat!  Yuck.  I hope this Sunday isn't that hot for my 5K.  Hoping to just beat last years time.  I can't even imagine doing a 5K one day and 10K the next  you are inspiring!
liz A.
on 5/19/08 2:21 am
nice work! I didnt know it got that hot there

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

wjoegreen
on 5/19/08 2:25 am - Colonial Heights, VA
You are a good mentor and great motivator,...and probably a budding trainer???? Thanks for posting your accomplishments.  I slept as much as possible this weekend, battling yet another bout with the flu or sinuses or something. Its killing my training regime.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Ruth A.
on 5/19/08 2:28 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Way to go Deanna - well done!!  I think you are amazing to do either one of those races, let aone both AND motivate someone else while you are running.  As I said...amazing!! Others have posted that you are inspirational, and yes you are - a true inspiration to me, and obviously to those around you. Congrats again.

Rob S.
on 5/19/08 2:37 am - DE
Wow, two races in two days.  That's incredible.  My aunt from just outside Seattle was visiting us this weeknd and she was telling us how hot it got last week.  That is brutal.  Real nice that you got through both events, especially having such a hot one first.  I wouldn't worry about your time in the 10k, there were definitely added cir****tances. Keep moving and having fun. Rob
Scott William
on 5/19/08 2:45 am
Great Job, young lady!  So you were the one who had to slow down to help out a friend.  That must have secretly felt great.  Keep it up.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
puddin2day
on 5/19/08 2:57 am - Los Angeles, CA
You did a great job!  I am so inspired by you. Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Cassie W.
on 5/19/08 9:23 am
Hmmm.  Two races, back to back.  I think there's a Goofy Marathon in your future.  Being there for a friend certainly brings its own rewards.  I'm sure she was appreciative to have your support. Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

striveforhealth
on 5/20/08 12:10 pm - Portsmouth, NH
Wow...way to go!!  Heat is not my running friend, so I hear what you're talking about.  Keep up the good work!!

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

Most Active