10k Race

MaryS
on 5/17/08 12:13 pm - Long Island, NY
Today I did a 10k race and it was just a beautiful day for the race. New York Road Runners have started using corrals at the start of the race. You are assigned to a corral based on your best race time. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do this race, so I registered this morning. I didn't bring any proof of my time so I was assigned to the last corral. It ended up not being too much of a problem, I was able to get by people without too much trouble. I did a decently time, my average pace was 11:09. I've been having more of a problem with my quads lately, I'm not sure what this is about. It may be that I am trying to run faster, and my legs haven't adapted. I'm doing a 5k race Tuesday night that is in support of the American Heart Association. The race is through the streets around the Wall Street area of Manhattan. I did this race is 2006 and it was lots of fun, so I am looking forward to doing it again.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Lulu C.
on 5/18/08 3:06 am - Jacksonville, NC
Congrats on your 10K! I did my first timed 10K also this weekend! It was the Runfor the Warriors 5/10K. My average pace wad 11:04 per mile total time was 1:08:22. I see that you've already done a marathon! I signed up for the Marine Corps marathon in Arlington, VA Oct. 26, 2008. The farest distance I have completed so far is a 10k.  Any marathon tips? Robin
MaryS
on 5/24/08 4:37 am - Long Island, NY
Robin, If you check out some of the messages on here you'll see lots of tips and ideas.  Also if you check my blog there is a lot about my experience last year.  I have the training schedule I followed, if you are interested PM me with your email address and I can send it to you. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

striveforhealth
on 5/18/08 8:05 am - Portsmouth, NH
Way to go!  My first one is in a few weeks, so it's good to have this inspiration!!

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

MaryS
on 5/24/08 4:38 am - Long Island, NY
Best of luck.  I hope the training is going well.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Rob S.
on 5/18/08 10:21 am - DE
Good job!  And it was a great day for run.  Don't you hate those hamstrings. Rob
Scott William
on 5/18/08 9:31 pm
Way to go Mary.  It must be awesome to run on the streets in the city.  It is funny that you mention quads.  Mine have been really tight lately and nothing I do seems to help.  The farther that I get into a run, the tighter they get.  I have started stretching more and it seems to help a little so perhaps that's it.  Congrats on your 10K.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
puddin2day
on 5/19/08 3:11 am - Los Angeles, CA

You go Mary!   You did an awesome job. Kim

Without struggle, there is no progress.

Cassie W.
on 5/19/08 9:09 am

Great job Mary.  It must be so exhilarating running through the city.  One of these days, I'm going to have to take a road trip.  I think it's only a 5 hour drive from Central New York. Run a little.  Shop a little.  Catch a show.  Sounds like a fun four-day weekend. Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

MaryS
on 5/24/08 4:38 am - Long Island, NY
Cassie, Sounds like a great weekend!  Let me know if you'd like a running partner when you come. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Most Active