hamstrings

liz A.
on 5/15/08 9:23 pm
my hamstrings are a solid knot.    if I go get a massage, which I would really like to do, I dont think even that will touch it. I've been stretching....just add more?  maybe I'm OVER stretching? suggestions? thanks. p.s.  I took  yesterday as rest day due to this....why is it  I noticed 900 million runners outside & felt envious? 

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Mifiremedic
on 5/16/08 12:53 am - MI
Kellee,

I would say keep stretching, and maybe some more light running. Maybe some light running will help stretch it as well.

Massage? hummm...
Deanna34
on 5/16/08 1:46 am - Salem, OR
Hi Kellee!  My hamstrings are tight, tight, tight all the time!  I have to spent a good amount of time stretching them before and after running.  I also spend some time walking before I run to stretch them out too.  I don't have any advice but I hope you get some good answers cuz I need help too! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Linn D.
on 5/16/08 4:55 am - Missoula, MT
My best advice is to do light stretching both before and after you run.  Also, take your pace down a notch or two so you are taking slightly shorter strides.  I've had a pulled hamstring in the past, so I'm very careful to baby it these days.  I was supposed to do a speed run today, but since mine is bothering me as well, I just did a straight run with no speed increases and only 30 min.  It never quite calmed down through the run.  I'll take the weekend off from running (going to try to swim at least once this weekend) and see how I feel next week.  It seems that doing speed work is when I notice problems.  I rarely stretch before because it hurts and continues to hurt through the run, but I always stretch after (often in the hot tub) when I'm warm.  Take care of those hamstrings!  When I was first having problems, I didn't slow down enough and hurt myself badly enough that I wasn't able to run for about 2 years.  That's why I get so excited now because I'm close to where I was before I hurt myself.  Linn
MaryS
on 5/17/08 12:05 pm - Long Island, NY
Keep stretching - from what I hear you can't over stretch. My physical therapist's favorite advice is to stretch and roll. Do you use a foam roller?

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

liz A.
on 5/19/08 2:23 am
stretch and roll????

-liz lemon

liz A.
on 5/19/08 6:18 am
ok, I got a foam CONE...(went to craft store) and tried this.   ummm....OWWWW!!! must mean its working now to chug water to flush out whatever it broke up.   my legs are so jacked up.

-liz lemon

Scott William
on 5/18/08 9:34 pm
When I stretch twice a day, I feel really good.  I will hold a pose for a minute so it takes a long time to do it.  Thats why I stretch at work; so they can pay me for it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
liz A.
on 5/19/08 6:23 am
my friend enjoys going to the restroom while at work.   cause then she is paid to *ahem* yeah, she's nasty. 

-liz lemon

Most Active