Wrap knees for running?

rreiny
on 5/15/08 3:55 am - Epsom, NH
I am still having knee pain while running.  I believe it is because of weak leg muscles and have been doing lunges and such to strengthen.  However after 4 weeks, I am still only running, comfortably, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 miles before I have to stretch out my knees, walk and then start running again, and then keep doing that.  My lungs can take the running but my knees still cant.  Tried the ibuprofin but I still won't be able to finish my 5K race coming up on the 25th.  I just thought about wearing either an ace bandage or knee brace (just the stretchy kind).  Has anyone had any luck with those?
Linn D.
on 5/15/08 4:53 am - Missoula, MT
If you were checked out by an orthopedic surgeon and the reason for your knee pain truly is muscle weakness (I don't remember if it was surgeon or PT who suggested the problem is weak muscles) then I don't see any reason to forgo the 5k race.  You may not be able to run the whole way, but you will be able to finish.  If you haven't been to the orthopedic surgeon, then I would strongly suggest this.  I used to have significant knee pain, but I got checked out and had x-rays to be certain there wasn't anything wrong with my ligaments, tendons, or meniscus and then continued to run.  My problem is a little different and I've used Hyalgan shots in the knee to add more fluid , but I haven't even used them in over a year.  I still have pain sometimes after I run longer distances, but not much during.  I truly hope you find out what is causing the pain and that you're able to accomplish your goals as pain-free as possible.  Linn
Scott William
on 5/15/08 3:22 pm

I have seen many people wear the kind that go just under the patella and it holds it in place.  I think they wear it for the same reason you are talking about. Just because you don't run the whole thing doesn't mean that you can't finish.  There is no shame in walking.  I have taken walk breaks in 5K's and always take them in anything longer.  Anyway, here is a repost from me from another thread: Funny that you should ask.  I was reading about this last night at work.  I am reading Running for Mortals which is a great book for the beginning runner.  Anyway, I don't have a clue as to what your issue might be but my suggestion is to take some time and see if it gets better.  If if does, it was probably an overuse issue.  Too much too fast.  

As we begin a running routine, the first thing that improves is out cardio vascular system which can show measurable improvement in 3-6 weeks.  The next thing to show improvement is the muscular system which shows in 6-12 weeks.  That means that the areobic system omproves 2 to 4 times faster than the muscular system.  When people feel better with the cardio after only a few weeks, they tend to push themselves harder when the mucsles aren't ready yet.  You have to pace yourself because the muscles need you to.  

Now the skeletal system takes 6-12 MONTHS to go through a cycle of improvement.  Your joints, tendons and bones take a long time to respond to the starting of activity.

Your heart and lungs feel great so you pu**** and make your muscles mad.  After a few weeks they are okay so you pu**** again and now your tendons and ligaments get pissed at you.  The bottom line is that it simply takes time for your body to catch up.

Again, it it's overuse, it should get better.  A trip to the Dr wouldn't hurt either.  Some physical threapy will teach you how to strengthen those running muscles and keep everything in line.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
rreiny
on 5/15/08 10:34 pm - Epsom, NH
Great information - thanks  to both of you *****sponded.  I just know I will be realy disappointed in myself if I don't beat my time from the last 5K I did.  But the 5K is for the Redhook Brewery and the "prize" is free beer after - I sure I will feel better somehow!! even if I have to walk some of it.  I will pick up that book - I have seen you mention it in other posts too. 
Most Active