Speed?

Ruth A.
on 5/13/08 7:54 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK

When running on the treadmill, what speed do you go at?  I've just started running and wondered what a good speed was.  Is it better to go slower for longer distance or faster for less distance?   Which will build up my fitness better?   My first goal is to be able to run a mile without stopping to walk in-between running by the end of May.  I've been running for 4 minutes, walk @ 6 for 1 min, run for 4.5 min walk for 1 min, etc, til I've done 20 minutes.  Can't make all the running yet, but I'm working towards it.

I've been running at 8KM/hr but have found that it has become more difficult so speeded up to 9 which was easier, but wore me out slightly quicker. Thanks

Mifiremedic
on 5/14/08 12:12 am - MI
everything that I've read says slower and longer. If you go fast then you start getting into Anearobic instead aerobic...

I hate running on a treadmill, but when I'm outside I run about a 9 mile minute. That means I am by no means burning up the streets.

Wish you luck... Always keep goals..

Chris G.
on 5/14/08 2:00 am
The American College of Sports Medicine states this:

"Guidelines for healthy adults under age 65:
Basic recommendations from ACSM and AHA:

Do moderately intense cardio 30 minutes a day, five days a week
Or
Do vigorously intense cardio 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week
And
Do eight to 10 strength-training exercises, eight to 12 repetitions of each exercise twice a week.

Moderate-intensity physical activity means working hard enough to raise your heart rate and break a sweat, yet still being able to carry on a conversation. It should be noted that to lose weight or maintain weight loss, 60 to 90 minutes of physical activity may be necessary. The 30-minute recommendation is for the average healthy adult to maintain health and reduce the risk for chronic disease."

(Source: http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home_Page&TEMPLATE=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=7764)

It's also helpful to note that in order to lose fat, the ACSM recommends going 45-60 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity.

Hope this helps!
Chris Gillette, MS
www.chriseducatedguess.blogspot.com
Scott William
on 5/14/08 2:13 am
For you goal of running a mile, you are doing fine.  As you progress your workouts should include one speed workout and one long run a week.  That way you cover both.  During a regular week you can take two runs at whatever pace you like.  There has been some evidence over the past year that high intensity work is more benificial than long slow work.  For me, I do one speed workout, one long slow run and two moderate speed runs a week.  I only run every other day with an 8 doy work week. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 5/14/08 12:21 pm - Missoula, MT
I concur with Scott, partly because I do similar workouts.  If you are actually training to do something, then both the speed workouts and the long, slow workouts are beneficial for different reasons.  The long, slow helps increase total distance and the faster works to increase overall cardiovascular fitness.  I generally do 3 or 4 running workouts a week depending on what I'm training for, and one is always a speed workout and one is always a length workout.  Not sure if it helps, but it's what I do.  Linn
Linn D.
on 5/15/08 12:02 pm - Missoula, MT
I just realized you're in the UK, so I figured I'd post a second reply.  My goal for most 10k races is under an hour, so if you're running at 9 and it feels good, I'd say that's great.  As you get better, you'll increase your speeds.  I run better faster, but it does take a while to improve the cardiovascular system so I can.  Good luck with your running.  I'm sure you'll work out what works best for you. Linn
(deactivated member)
on 5/15/08 1:10 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
I'm not a runner, and if achieving running goals is your aim, then listen to the previous posters who know a whole lot more about running than I do.  But, if your goal is overall fitness, in my opinion the speed isn't as important as your own heart rate.  I'd recommend buying a heart rate monitor, and then use your target heart rate zone to build your aerobic base for the first 6-8 weeks.  Once you have a good aerobic base, you can add higher intensity intervals which can really reap some amazing results with far less time commitment than long-distance work at a lower intensity.   Tami
Most Active