Need explanation please...

QwnBee2007
on 5/13/08 9:57 am, edited 5/13/08 10:02 am - Southern, CA

I have been exercising (gym & walking) since I was 2 weeks post-op (RNY on 11/26/07). I really really really thought that this would speed up my weight loss, however, I’ve  noticed that there are a lot of post-ops with way more significant weight loss and the majority indicate that they now need to START with an exercise program. Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong?

Also, I go to the gym on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday (I let my body rest on Tuesdays and Fridays). I do cardio 1st and then the weight machines.

This is why I got confused: A couple of weeks ago I only went to the gym ONE time, but I lost 6 lbs that week. That is the most that I have lost in one week at this far out. The weeks when I exercise I fluctuate between 1,2, and sometimes 0 pound weight loss. Does anyone have any insight as to why this happens? Why would weight loss speed up when I did not exercise?

-40lbs before Surgery  -81lbs since surgery on 11/26/07 -121 lbs total gone FOREVER!!
~Shaana~

NicoleLynn
on 5/13/08 10:42 am, edited 5/13/08 10:43 am - Minneapolis, MN
Shaana~Something syou might want to look at are: your caloric intake (are you getting enough calories for your activity level, if not your body will hold on to every calorie you put in your body because it is in starvation mode), water intake (at least 8-8 ounce glasses of liquid a day), protien intake (your nutritionist should have given you a minumum amount of protien you need each day based on your height and activity level), and then if all of these are fine go to your PCP and have them check out your thyroid.  These are all just suggestions that I have seen many ohter here on OH ask people who have the same question, I am by no means a medical professional and my advise should not be taken as such.  If you are seriously concerned I would contact your doctor/nurse in your Bariatric program and hopefully they will be able to help you figure things out.  Hope this helps! ~Nicole~~PS I just looked at your ticker and it says you have lost 106 pounds, for being 6 months out that is really good!  Keep up the great work!

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/08 1:44 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
Exercise is so much more important than the number on the scale.  Exercise improves sleep, energy levels, bone density, flexibility, balance, and health problems like diabetes, depression, high blood pressure, and arthritis.  But, for those of us fighting the battle of obesity, the most important element is *metabolism*.  Exercise is the one sure-fire way you can improve your metabolism, and that's a scientific *fact*.  By improving your metabolism, you have a much better chance of reaching goal weight, and staying there.  But, the results of exercise and improved metabolism don't necessarily show up overnight.  It's a gradual process with long-reaching benefits. So, why aren't you losing weight as fast as others?  I dunno.  There are so many factors that can affect weight loss.  You've already gotten some great suggestions.  I just don't want you to get too hung up on the scale.  Tami
Chris G.
on 5/14/08 1:47 am
I agree with the other posters. Don't get hung up by the number on the scale, it's arbitrary. The important thing is exercising and eating healthy.

As such there are things you can do to burn more fat. How hard do you do cardio? Light intensity, moderate intensity, or vigorously? How long do you do cardio? 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or an hour? What is your diet?

All of those seemingly minor questions have a huge impact on weight loss. The important thing to remember is the number on the scale doesn't matter as much as you are losing excess fat.
Chris Gillette, MS
www.chriseducatedguess.blogspot.com
QwnBee2007
on 5/18/08 10:32 am - Southern, CA
Thank you all so much for your insight. I definitely plan to keep up my exercise program. I do agree that the long term effects of exercise will benefit me with my OVERALL well-being (shoot I already feel 2000% better than I did just 1 year ago). I just have to keep reinforcing to NOT fixate on the scale. . I'll get this right! LOL
Thanks my OH Family! Love Ya!

-40lbs before Surgery  -81lbs since surgery on 11/26/07 -121 lbs total gone FOREVER!!
~Shaana~

Most Active