(deactivated member)
on 5/14/08 1:15 am - Miramar Beach, FL
What, and spoil the fantasy?  The mind is a terrible thing to waste. Tami
Mifiremedic
on 5/14/08 1:18 am - MI
How did you know you were my fantasy???
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/08 11:22 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Hi, Tami, and thanks for a great post.  I'm in the same position as you - ready for and needing plastics, but worried about the recovery process derailing my fitness routine.  I feel like have plastics will be a blessing and a curse; a blessing to finally get rid of this excess skin, to look more "normal."  A curse because it will likely set me back 6-8 months in my fitness development.   I keep trying to remind myself that, although it will take time after plastics, I got my body into this great physical shape once, so I can do it again.  I really like my current level of fitness and I'm hopeful that I'll miss it enough that I'll be motivated to get back to the gym as soon as my plastic surgeon releases me to exercise again.  I'm also really interested in what my body will look like after plastics, and think I'll be motivated to exercise so I can "build" the best body I can!!!   Anyway, thanks again for a great post - the responses have been very helpful to me as well.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and good luck on your continuing journey! Kellie
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/08 1:13 am - Miramar Beach, FL
6-8 months??!!  God, I hope it's not that bad.  I know I'm probably too optimistic, but I plan to start walking at week 2, Spinning by week 4, and lifting light weights by week 6, if I can talk my doc (& my body) into that schedule! I do believe in muscle memory.  I was pretty buff about 13-14 years ago, and then totally let myself go.  It only took me a couple of months to start getting definition this time around.  I'm less worried about how my *body* will respond to the recouperation process than I am about getting my *mind* to accept a greatly reduced ability level, and the gradual rebuilding of strength and stamina without giving up.  Thanks for your good wishes! Tami
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/08 2:15 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
I figure if I tell myself I can be back in great shape in 6-8 months at the longest, then I can set my expectations for that and if it turns out to happen faster, then all the better.  I'm also doing more now than I've ever done - 5 hours of cardio, 4-5 hours of strength training, plus 1-2 hours of yoga every week.  It's taken me 2 years to work up to that routine from being totally out of shape.  So I don't know how much faster my recovery/rebuild time will be now that I'm in so much better shape.   I plan to start moving as soon as I'm allowed, even if what I can do is pace in front of my house.  I've never been in this position before - being in good shape and having a great exercise routine - so I just don't know how my recovery will go and what I'll feel up to.  My plan is to pay really good attention to what my body is telling me in terms of its overall capacity (strength, endurance, stamina) and then carefully push myself back to where I'm at now, and perhaps beyond.   When are you considering having plastics?  If everything works out like I hope, I'm planning for round one in January or February of 2009...then round two as soon as practical thereafter... Good luck to you on your continuing journey, especially with your plastics!   Kellie
Scott William
on 5/14/08 2:24 am

I am going to submit my stuff in the beginning of June for a TT.  If I can chooce, I would like a January date after I finish the Goofy run at Disney.  I will still have time to hit the spring running season (late spring).  I have an incisonal hernia that will hopefully help with approval.   The tough thing will be not exercising during the healing process.  Good luck Scott

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 5/14/08 10:35 am - DE
I paid out of pocket and I had abdominalplasty (270 degrees)  followed by hernia surgery (three months apart).  The hernia was discovered during the plastic.  I had to wait for partial healing of the plastic before going back under for the hernia.  Unlike the RNY, the plastic surgeon stresses lack of movement to enhance the healing.  No walking, talking, or anything.  Don't worry about being off the exercise wagon, once you see the results of the plastic taking shape, you'll throw yourself back into the game because you'll won't let this extremely painful surgery go back to your waist.  You have the rest of your life to succeed.  So take the advice of your plastic surgeon, and as soon as you get the go ahead, head right back to the gym and get started.  Walking, running, lifting, and stretching.  Try to time your surgery near the end of the year, since surgeons are more likely to give you a deal.  BTW, if you are doing all those surgeries at once expect to be laid up any further. Good luck!  Rob
striveforhealth
on 5/14/08 11:55 am - Portsmouth, NH
Hi - Thanks from me too for posting this question.  I'm just starting to consider PS and am gathering as much info as I can.  Sometimes when I'm running now I imagine doing it without the extra skin and I picture how light it will feel.  Good luck on your journey! 

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/08 1:42 pm
Tami: I have not had plastics, and am not even at goal, but I wanted to chime in to give you some support.  You are beautiful now and will be even more beautiful after surgery.  I understand your fear about not being motivated to exercise after surgery, but look at how you jumped right back in after your port replacement.  It's hard to give up that "fitness" feeling.  It will just be a few weeks.  In the scope of life, that is not a long time. Your friend, Lynne
marjo64
on 5/15/08 6:11 am - Bridgewater, NJ
Tami, I would definitely classify myself as a gym rat and I did have LBL surgery in 12/06. I was freaked by the thought of how long I could potentially be out of the gym (the thought of missing 3 consecutive days is traumatic!). I was able to start some decent walking at about 2 weeks out and by 6 I was back in the gym doing light workouts. I would say by 10 weeks I was back up to speed. But then came the good part. My workouts, body and fitness level went so far above and beyond what I thought possible. I thought I was so fit prior to that surgery but it was so much better afterwards. My plastic surgeon had told me this would be the case but I figured there was no way it could get any better. I would have to say that plastic surgery changed me as much as losing 230 pounds has.  Now please keep in mind that I had a tremenedous pannus removed. Best fo luck to you and if you have any questions feel free to ask! 

Most Active