Plastic Surgery & Fitness

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/08 2:34 am - Miramar Beach, FL
Have any of you gym rats had plastics?  If so, can you please let me know how long it took you to get back to the gym, and how long before you were back to where you were before surgery?  I'm scheduled for surgery (BL/BA, LBL, and possibly inner thigh lift) on 5/30.  If I ever want to feel comfortable in a bathing suit again, I gotta get surgery.  But, I worry that I'm trading my hard-won fitness for an image of perfection, because a break of at least 4-6 weeks might throw me off track.  Right now, I can't imagine not getting back to the gym at the very earliest opportunity, but I know from previous experience, that it *could* be the beginning of the end.  I've never stuck with exercise this long in my life (I've been exercising consistently now for almost a year and a half), and I've never been in as good physical condition as I am now.  Fitness is *important* to me. I appreciate any words of experience.  But, if you have not experienced plastics, and are opposed on principle, I'd appreciate if you just skip over this message.  I'm a bit fragile over this issue right now, and am seeking advice based on experience, not theory.  Thanx! Tami
Linn D.
on 5/13/08 2:48 am - Missoula, MT
Hi Tami,  I haven't had plastics yet, but would do it in a minute if we had the money for it right now.  I do know that there are others on this board who have plastics and they couldn't wait to get back to their routines.  In fact, some have said that it is easier on them to exercise now.  I'll let them speak for themselves, but just like any surgery it IS a very personal decision, and if your fitness is important to you now, it will still be important to you in a few weeks when you're allowed to resume your routine.  I also know from experience that not working out for any reason makes me want to get back to it.  I feel what my body can't do as well and I want that back.  I think you'll do great and will see how much easier certain things are for you to do.   Then you'll want to do even more! Take care, and I'll be thinking good thoughts.  Linn
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/08 6:12 am - Miramar Beach, FL
Thanks, Linn.  I hope you're right.  I felt better about my recovery prospects after getting the port replaced last month.  Although that was a fraction of what I'll be going through at the end of May, it was a good sign that I was back at the gym in 3 days, Spinning a week later, and lifting 3 weeks after surgery.   Tami
MaryS
on 5/13/08 10:38 am - Long Island, NY
Tami, I experienced the same fears your expressed before my plastic surgery. I had a lower body lift on 8/30/06. I had to wait 6 weeks before I could go back to running and 12 weeks for weight training. I was afraid that I would never get my fitness level back, despite everyone telling me about muscle memory and that it wouldn't be as hard to get my fitness level back as it was to get it the first time. I had an enormous amount of anxiety over the surgery, and it wasn't just related to my fitness level. I won't mislead you , it was somewhat hard to get back to exercise after the surgery. It was that I lost my motivation, it was that my body needed time to recovery from the surgery and I wasn't very patient. I remember walking on the treadmill at the gym and leaving crying because I couldn't even walk 3 mph with any comfort. If there is one thing I've learned, it is to have patience with my body after surgery and to give it time to recover. I had bladder surgery last May and tried to build my running mileage up too quickly and ended up with a hip injury. So my biggest word of advice is to be patient with yourself, you will get back to where your were before you know it. On the positive, I had almost 16 pounds removed with my lbl and it made a big difference in my running, my time improved almost immediately. It also has helped with my balance. Let me know if you have any questions. And bottom line, the surgery is totally worth everything! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/08 12:18 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
Mary, thank so much for your message.  I was beginning to think that physical fitness and plastics just don't mix.  I posted a similar message on the plastics forum and got "0" responses.   I know I'll have to be patient with my recovery.  And I know that's going to be difficult.  I'm just so hyper-focused on staying in shape, but I also know that I'll never be satisfied with my body without plastics.   But, it all may be a moot point now.  Right after I posted my message this morning, I got a phone call from a rep for a production company for Spinning.  I had submitted a testimony about Spinning, in the hopes of getting a free trip to the Miami national Spinning conference (and possibly be filmed for an infomercial).  Apparently I'm being considered!  If I get chosen, then I'll have to cancel surgery, and postpone until fall.  I have such mixed feelings!  I'd love to go to the conference, yet I'd like to get this surgery out of the way!  It's in the hands of fate right now. Tami
JKap
on 5/13/08 9:55 pm - Newton, MA
OMG- Your post totally hits home with me! I also became a gym rat after my RNY and 4 weeks ago had LBL with BL/BA. I am chomping at the bit to get back to my routine, but know that my body isn't ready. I fear that it will never be, though everyone tells me this will not be the case, it is still a fear! My doc said 6-8 weeks. I see him tomorrow and plan to push the topic, so I'll let you know what he says. My guess is he will say start with walking, which my new self won't be satisfied with- Who'd have thunk it? Anyway, just wanted you to know that your fears are not alone...Joy
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/08 1:07 am - Miramar Beach, FL

Hi Joy, congrats on your surgery!  Thanks for the info on your post-op experience.  I'd love to hear what your doc has to say.  Walking is a great start.  I'm sure it's a gradual process, kinda like when you first started exercising.  Best wishes for getting back to your previous fitness level as quickly and safely as possible! Tami

Mifiremedic
on 5/13/08 10:56 pm - MI
Tami,

I know I'm getting off topic, but you look terrific, and no need for Plastics.. But Ive told you that before.. wink wink
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/08 1:08 am - Miramar Beach, FL
Yeah, but you haven't seen me nekkid.  ;-) Tami
Mifiremedic
on 5/14/08 1:11 am - MI
Not yet anyways???? ha ha
Most Active