Knee pain

NicoleLynn
on 5/13/08 1:12 am - Minneapolis, MN
This morning I woke up to a very sore knee.  I thought maybe I just slept funny last night but it still hurts 3 1/2 hours later.  It hurts even to cross my ankles and is a dull throbbin gkind of pain.  I am planning on foregoing my workout today to give it a chance to rest.  I know you are not medical professionals here, but any one have any ideas as to what I could have done to it or what I should do to help it? 

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Scott William
on 5/13/08 2:09 am
Funny that you should ask.  I was reading about this last night at work.  I am reading Running for Mortals which is a great book for the beginning runner.  Anyway, I don't have a clue as to what your issue might be but my suggestion is to take some time and see if it gets better.  If if does, it was probably an overuse issue.  Too much too fast.   As we begin a running routine, the first thing that improves is out cardio vascular system which can show measurable improvement in 3-6 weeks.  The next thing to show improvement is the muscular system which shows in 6-12 weeks.  That means that the areobic system omproves 2 to 4 times faster than the muscular system.  When people feel better with the cardio after only a few weeks, they tend to push themselves harder when the mucsles aren't ready yet.  You have to pace yourself because the muscles need you to.   Now the skeletal system takes 6-12 MONTHS to go through a cycle of improvement.  Your joints, tendons and bones take a long time to respond to the starting of activity. Your heart and lungs feel great so you pu**** and make your muscles mad.  After a few weeks they are okay so you pu**** again and now your tendons and ligaments get pissed at you.  The bottom line is that it simply takes time for your body to catch up. Again, it it's overuse, it should get better.  A trip to the Dr wouldn't hurt either.  Some physical threapy will teach you how to strengthen those running muscles and keep everything in line.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
NicoleLynn
on 5/13/08 2:31 am - Minneapolis, MN
Sounds good!  I also just talked to my sister who is a personal trainer and she suggested I just walk for a couple of days instead of walk/run intervals.  I think I also need to get my butt back to the gym and start some weight training again.  I had swapped out my gym membership for a membership at a yoga studio, but with training for the races I want to do this fall I might be better off at the gym.  Thank you for the info about how long it takes everything to catch up.  I have been exercising for the past 6 -7 months, but just recently started running so I will try to remember to let my body catch up with me.  I am going to see if I can find the book you mentioned as well. 

Chris G.
on 5/13/08 3:34 am
It could be an overuse issue, which happens to everyone. It also could be your running mechanics (stride length, stride frequency, and breathing). It also could be your shoes. Taking it easy is very good advice.

The reason I say shoes is that when you are wearing really padded shoes is that humans tend to hit the ground harder when walking, jogging, or running than we would if we were bare-foot. If you find yourself doing this, make sure you hit the ground a little softer.

A good book for "learning" how to run is the book "Programmed to Run," by Dr. Thomas Miller. Dr. Miller has a doctorate in exercise and sport science. This book can help teach you proper running mechanics.
NicoleLynn
on 5/13/08 3:59 am - Minneapolis, MN
Thank you Chris!  I wear NEw Balance Cardio shoes that I thought would be good for running, but  I did not get them at a running store.  When I get some extra money I am going to get my butt into the Running Room and get fitted for good running shoes.  I will also be more mindful when I strat running again of how hard I am hitting the ground.  I just purchased a book from the Running Room on starting to run that I am going to read, but will add the book you mentioned to an ever growing list of books to read!  ~Nicole

Most Active