Workout Routine......

AAADAwg
on 5/12/08 3:46 pm - Carlton, GA

I have access to a gym with circuit weights, free weights, all sorts of bicycles and treadmills and stair masters etc. plus of course classes of every variety. I have been going for a couple of weeks now and I love it but I am afraid that I am not maximizing my time. I do everyone of the weight machines with pretty light weights (20 - 40 pounds for upper body and 30 - 70 for lower) and I have been doing 35 minutes on a treadmill at about 2.2 MPH and getting my heart rate up to around 120 - 130 BPM). I am 42 years old, had WLS surgery in August of last year and I have lost from 567 pounds to 345. I usually go to the gym once a day during the week for about 1.5 hours. 

My questions are these....

Is it a good idea to do upper and lower body workouts everyday? I see the other people at the gym doing either or but rarely both. Of course those people are also using MUCH heavier weights than I am able to use.  What is bets?? I am main,y interested in losing weight, improving mobility and stamina. 

Is it OK to use the same cardiovascular machine or should I switch it up also? I can't do a bicycle because of a bad knee but I don't have anyproblem with a tread mill, eliptical or stair cliber. I really have no preference but I ue the treadmill because it is simpler to use and I can stay on it longer than the other two.

Should I use any free weights? What about stretching or warm up? I have access to a trainer but the gym is on a military base in Germany and the trainer is a soldier and they are very much into the free weights...lots of grunting and hollering HOOOHAH!!! It sort of reminds me of the wrestling team when I was in High School LOL.

Is there a standard workout routine that will maximize my time in the gym? I love going and do not mind spendiing 10 hours a week working out at all but I won't to make sure I am doing as much a possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

When faced with the choice to sit it out or dance.....I'm doing the RHUMBA!!!!

Scott William
on 5/12/08 10:06 pm
Is it a good idea to do upper and lower body workouts everyday? -----Most people break their workouts into 2 or 3 day routines.  This allows the muscles that you worked out yesterday or the day before to rest and recover.  Working out breaks down muscle and the rest allows it to build its self back up.  Sometimes, it I know that I can't make it to the gym for a few days, I will do a full body workout but again, its only if I know I won't be there for a few days. Is it OK to use the same cardiovascular machine or should I switch it up also? -----Cardio is all about getting the heart rate up and sustaining it.  If you like the treadmill and it works for you physically then stick with it.  Should I use any free weights?  -----If you are not looking to compete in any body building competitions any time soon, you can leave the free weights alone.  They are great to use but if you are hitting the circut, you are hitting every major body part.  If you start to get bored with the circut or want to expand your horisons then go with the trainer and let him teach you a little about the free weights.  I personally use free weights for about 75% of my lifting. What about stretching or warm up?  ------The "experts" suggest stretching after you do your cardio because the body is warmed up and at it's most pilable.  I personally like to get a light stretch in before I run and a good solid stretch in after.  It has worked for me for two years now so I'll stick with it. Is there a standard workout routine that will maximize my time in the gym? -----Not really.  It depends on your goals and what you have to work with.  I personally don't usually spend more than 30 minutes on my lifting routine.  I don't mess around and get through it quickly.  My typical day at the gym is 5-10 minutes of light stretching followed by 45 minutes of running.  After it's 10 minutes of stretching and 20-30 minutes of weight training. Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active