Black toes?

NicoleLynn
on 5/12/08 6:52 am - Minneapolis, MN
My mom and I were talking this weekend and she told me that since I am training for a marathon in October to be prepared to have my toenails turn black and fall off.  She said she has seen this several times (she is an EMT) in people who have done longer races or marathons.  Has anyone here experienced this and is there any way to avoid it? Thanks~Nicole

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Chris G.
on 5/12/08 6:58 am
I've never heard of that. I've heard of people who have their toenails taken off because they believe it will save them time, but none whose nails have actually turned black and fallen off. Ouch!!
Andy Kovatch
on 5/12/08 7:31 am - York, PA
Hey Nicole, It's funny you should post this. I ran the Blue Cross Broad Street 10 mile run in Philly last week and a couple days later the toe next to my big toe on my right foot turned black and purple.  I guess your post answered my question as to how it happened.  I guess it's normal?  The good news is it hasn't fallen off - yet. Take care, Andy

"No matter how hard life may get, no matter how many curveballs you are thrown, keep in mind, if you want to succeed - QUITTING IS NOT AN OPTION"!!!

kypdurran
on 5/12/08 8:38 am, edited 5/12/08 8:39 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Sometimes it happens and from what I understand there's nothing you can really do to avoid it.   I hear toe socks help but personally I think they look funny.   I lost my first toenail after the Crawfishman triathlon a couple weeks ago but strangely enough I didn't lose any toenails after the marathon I ran in February.

Oh, it didn't turn black and fall off either.  It just fell off the evening after the race.   The bottom and side were loose so I had my girlfriend grab the little piece that was hanging on with some pliers and yank it off.  Heh heh.   Bled a little but it was better than having it half on half off.

Linn D.
on 5/12/08 2:06 pm, edited 5/12/08 2:08 pm - Missoula, MT
The only problem I've ever had with this was with my first pair of running shoes, which were about a half size too small.  I didn't have black toes, but I did have a couple nails come off.  Ever since I moved up in size, I've had zero problems with my feet and I've done 4 half marathons and a full as well as many 10k's.  I think the big key is the fit of the shoes.  Linn
Scott William
on 5/12/08 2:35 pm
http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/318547/albums/ 1442/IMG_0765.JPG Here is mine after my first marathon.  The shoes were a little too small.  The red is paint.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
K B (Tucson)
on 5/12/08 3:51 pm - Tucson, AZ
This happens when your shoes (excercise or "day" shoes) do not fit right -too big OR small. 
Rob S.
on 5/12/08 9:28 pm - DE
If you go to a professional running shoe store you shouldn't have to worry about black toes.  You should be fitted with a shoe size that is about a full size larger than you normally wear.  Runners magazine seems to have an article every other month on this topic and all of the running coaches believe that shoe size is the most important factor in avoiding foot problems. Rob
Most Active