Anyone doing the Texas Hotter'N Hell 100?

1texasmom
on 5/11/08 10:58 pm
Or have you done it in the past?  I'm only 6 months out and am considering doing the event with another WLS peep - well, ok, part of the event....the 20 or 50k.  I need advice!  Am I far enough out?  Will I be able to consume enough liquids and nutrition to participate and remain healthy?  Here is the link  about the event.  I've done enduracne sports in the past but this is my first post WLS and I am really freaked out about the whole thing.  Tell me what you did, how far out you were and how it went for you...PLEASE!?!?!?!

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

Mifiremedic
on 5/11/08 11:34 pm - MI
Well there is some information missing from your post that I would need before giving you my opinion. However, I will guess at some of the missing information.

From your post, it appears, that this would be your first race since WLS. If that is correct, I would suggest that you start off with a like a 5K race, and work your way up from there over a period of time.

I would be worried that if you started off with a 20 or 50K then you would risk injury or failure.

I would never hold anyone back from doing what they want, but a 20 or 50 K race might be just a bit too much this early.

Just my honest opinion..
1texasmom
on 5/11/08 11:47 pm
Right, this is my first event post-WLS although with my YoYo dieting over the years I've done marathons, triathlons and century rides.  It just kind of worries me with the limited volume that I can consume now.  I can't get my mind around how the nutrition/liquid would work for me now.  I would obviously start a training program ASAP and my goal would be to finish...no time goals.     And just to clarify, this is a bike event.  They are offering these routes - - 10K - 25 mile - 50 mile - 100K  - 100 mile.  So you say go with the shortest distance?  Doesn't work for the OCD part of my personality, but then again maybe that would be exactly why I need to do the shortest in order to "go all of the way" with my ride without over doing it.  So much to consider!   Thanks for your feedback.    

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160

Mifiremedic
on 5/11/08 11:51 pm - MI
I guess thats what I get for not clicking on the links you provided.Feel free to kick me in the ass.

If you have the background you say and can put in the time to train, then by all means give it a try.

Sorry for my ignorance.. ha ha
MaryS
on 5/11/08 11:51 pm - Long Island, NY
This is a bike ride, first I thought you were talking about a running race.  I think you should be able to handle a 20k bike ride in August.  You have some time to train and work out the liquids and nutrition between now an then.  Best of luck to you!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Rob S.
on 5/12/08 12:48 am - DE
You shouldn't have much of a problem doing the 25 miler (or possibly 50 miler).  You can carry your hydration on your bike and they should have rest stops every 10-15 miles if it is a well organized ride.  For that short a ride you only really need to worry about hydration, since you can eat prior to and after the ride. I did my first ride about 6-months out from surgery.  It was 35-miles.  At twelve months I had done four 50-milers, and did a 150-mile overnighter.  The longer rides require some thought about what to carry with you (bananas are great), since the rest stops do not cater to gastric requirements.  But you can always carry nuts and clif bloks to help along the way.  Energy bars are not a good option, since they melt and leave a big mess.  Protein drinks also don't hold up well in the heat, so just leave one in cooler in the car to have after you finish.   In the heat, hydration remains critical.  They will probably provide water and Gatorade.  I can't tolerate Gatorade, both the taste and sugar content, so I always stick to the water.  Sometimes they have pre-made sandwiches and sweets at the rest stops.  It's up to you to figure out what you can tolerate.  My brother and I are more into getting to the finish line than stopping and eating, so we usually just avoid the whole mess. Have fun. Rob
Most Active