i want to...

Chris G.
on 5/12/08 5:59 am
I'm going to start to sound even more weird. When you asked about shoes, I am going to state something that very few people know and understand. The less amount of footwear, the better. Nike has a shoe out called the Free, and I don't know if you've heard of them, but I endorse them without reservation. They are made to mimic being barefoot and actually make your foot stronger than what they are right now as well as protecting your feet from hot asphalt, dirt, and gross things.

Second, watch your posture. Correct running technique depends heavily on your core. Make sure your strengthen your abs and lower back.

I read an article on correct running and one of the visualizations I read was this: think about you are outside watching your children and one darts out into the street. You are barefoot and have to reach your child as quickly and efficiently as possible.

When you are at the end of your next run and you want to slow down and stop, pay close attention to what your body does to slow itself. Then do the opposite.
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/08 6:09 am - Decatur, AL
ok first off, the shoes: are these kinda like the sketchers or the swim shoe thingies people are wearing nowadays? that's what i'm envisioning anyway by what you've written here... and as for posture: i'm not sure that what i've been doing was correct or not but this is what i was doing. whenever i was "conscious" of myself (and not conscious of not tripping over the dog which is about half the time because he'll straight trip me up if i let him! ) i tried to make myself as light on my feet as possible and to barely touch the ground at all, just enough to spring off of it. the rest of my body i tried to keep taught, every muscle... my arms, my legs, my butt, my stomach... every muscle that i could THINK of... if i could FEEL it i would TIGHTEN it. somehow i had it in my mind that this would help me to burn more calories and to get more out of my workout so um, are you suggesting... sprinting maybe? (when i'm ready of course) i'm not sure i understand the "children darting into the street" analogy. if that'll get me to the point of full-on running though, i'm there!
Chris G.
on 5/12/08 6:56 am
Here's a link to the shoes. http://www.nike.com/nikefree/. No, not sprinting, but just imagining the set-up. By imagining that, your mechanics would naturally flow. Evolutionary, our feet are perfect for running, walking, jogging. I'm a proponent of the less is more mentality when it comes to foot-wear.

kypdurran
on 5/12/08 8:36 am - Baton Rouge, LA

The best thing to do is just start slow and set some goals.   One of my favorite books that really got me moving was John Bingham's, Marathoning for Mortals.   The book is about training for a marathon BUT he also has plenty of tips and anecdotes that will help you get moving.    Start out by walking and then SLOWLY work your way into running when you feel comfortable.

Best of luck.

Chad

Most Active