Protein / Carb balance?

Ruth A.
on 5/10/08 6:40 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK

What % of carbs and protein do people recommend? I have been eating very low carbs and high protein but find since I have started working out I am very tired and lack energy.  I feel like my body is needing carbs but it goes against everything I read on other boards. What do you guys think?

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/08 10:59 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
It varies based on how much you exercise and how your body metabolizes different sources of energy (carbs, fats, proteins).  I workout about 10 hours per week - 5 hours of cardio, 4 hours of strength training, 1-2 hours of yoga.  I'm burning an average of 2250 calories per week from exercise.   I average 2000-2400 calories per day, with 50% of calories from carbs, 25% from protein, and 25% from fat.  For 2000 calories, that works out to: 1000 calories from carbs, or 250 grams (4 calories per gram) 500 calories from protein, or 125 grams (4 calories per gram) 500 calories from fat, or 55 grams (9 calories per gram) For people who are heavily into exercise, the traditional WLS advice of high protein and very limited carbs is generally not appropriate.  Our bodies need the carbs for energy to support the workouts.  Without them, you'll continue to feel very time and lack energy.  I try to eat more of my carbs earlier in the day, plus I'll eat some carbs about an hour before I workout.  I taper off on the carbs later in the day and bump up the protein.  That's just what works for me based on my schedule.  I'm also eating complex carbs - whole grains, fruits, veggies, low-fat dairy products, etc. - and not crap.  Well, maybe some occasional crap, but that's not a daily thing anymore.   Good luck figuring out what your body needs!  And keep up that great workout habit!!! Kellie
Ruth A.
on 5/13/08 4:03 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Thank you for taking the time to share your intake levels.  I think I will up my complex carbs a little and see how this makes me feel. I'm still trying to make working out a habit, but I'm slowly getting there!!! :o)

Most Active