Flexibility Exercises and the SMO

Sarah M.
on 5/10/08 9:15 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi there. At nearly 400 lbs, my exercise options are limited. I'm working with a trainer to build stregnth, and I'm up to over an hour of cardio (mild cardio, but cardio nonetheless). I have no clue what at my size I can begin doing to improve flexibility. Can a 5'9, 390 lbs, belly-heavy female do yoga? What can I do? Where can I start?

HELP!

Sarah
NicoleLynn
on 5/10/08 12:32 pm - Minneapolis, MN
Sarah--Yes!  Anyone can do yoga, because all of the poses are modifiable and you are encouraged to "do what feels good".  I want to congratulate you on the great strides you are taking toward a healthier you!  Over an hour of any exercise is better than some thin people I know!  Keep up the great work!  Nicole

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Sarah M.
on 5/12/08 5:33 am - Philadelphia, PA
Do you know of any good sources of information for SMO people interested in yoga? I've gotten the book "MegaYoga", but there wasn't much about how to modify positions.

Sarah M.
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/08 11:18 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

I agree with the prior poster that anyone can do yoga.  However, I think it would be hard to just start out with the DVDs or programs from FitTV.  From what I've seen, the instructors on the DVDs and tv don't necessarily tell you what you can do to modify the poses to make them comfortable for you.   If you could do a few in-person classes with an instructor, he/she should be able to teach you some modified poses that you could then use with the DVDs or programs from TV.  With in-person instruction, the teacher can help adjust you so your in the proper position and so you can "feel" what the pose should be like.   I've been taking a beginning yoga class for about 2 months now, and I've already learned enough to follow some the basic programs from FitTV.  I use some of the poses from the in-person class to fill in when I can't do the stuff on FitTV.   One other suggestion I would make is an AM/PM Stretch DVD by Gaiam - I've used this on and off for a while, and found it very helpful.  It's available at amazon.com for $12.99.  While it's not yoga per se, it's a great stretching routine. AM/PM Stretch for Health Good luck finding something that works for you!! Kellie

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/08 3:23 pm - Sevierville, TN

Hi, I'm interested in trying yoga too and found a DVD on amazon called Yoga For Inflexible People. It is supposed to be modified. I"m planning to order it next week. I think it costs about $8. Good luck. Karen

Most Active