Exercising plateau or how come i'm getting weaker

Seht
on 5/9/08 12:07 am
I had been working out doing the couch to 5k program, well a couple weeks ago I managed to complete it.  Yay.  But since then I just haven't had any energy, and I find it harder and harder to run.  I'm no where near able to complete the 5k now.  It's like I get tired almost immediately, my legs feel rubbery and weak and I just can't do it.  I end up walking. Am I overdoing it?  Is my body missing something?  I am very good with my vitamins, and I am eating well withing my food range.  I have been going or trying to go 5 time a week.  I set the treadmill for 5k with a nice warm up lap prior. Should I try to back off on my workouts, or do I need to do more? I have also recently added some cycling to my routine, anywhere from 5-10 miles on the stationary bike, but that comes after the run. Thanks Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

wjoegreen
on 5/9/08 1:52 am, edited 5/9/08 1:52 am - Colonial Heights, VA
How much protein and water are you getting? You amy need more iron and /or B12 than you are taking. You may need more carbs in your diet. I'd need more detail to give more specific advice. Post here or to my PM or email; [email protected] I'm am also sure there are many others more than capable of giving sound advice as well and I'm interested in their response also. My situation is , it seesm every thime I get to the 25-28 miles a week and 8-10 mile runs,...I get sick and wind up missing a week or two and have to keep rebuilding the endurance and stamina to increase.  Plus my weight is solid stuck on 238.  I can't seem to shed a pound or inches off my 40 waist. (I still have this not-so-secret ambition to get to 200 lbs and a 36 waist even at 20 months out).
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 5/9/08 2:10 am
I just had my lab work done, and it was all good according to the doc. I'll go back and look at my food logs when I get home tonight, and see what I'm doing there. I know it's hard with the extra weight I still carry, I still want to hit that 188 pound goal too.  I really think I'm going to be too thin at 188, so 200 might be a better goal.  It makes running hard with that extra weight flopping around and wearing you down. Thanks for the info.  I'll look at all those suggestions and see what I come up with. Scott

wjoegreen
on 5/9/08 2:24 am - Colonial Heights, VA
If you are not already, yuo need more than the minimum 60 gms of protein to do the exercise you are undertaking.  If you are getting more protein, you gotta have the minimum 64 oz of water or more to keep the kidneys flush and bowels from getting constipated.  B-12 and Biotin increase yuor energy and you lab work is only a snap shot at the time it was taken, which may not/probably isn't accurate for when you are working out or recovering from a work out.  Taking Vit C with you multi-vit with iron will make the iron absorption more efficient and sufficient iron will provide you more energy also.  I started at the standard 18 mg.  The surgeons office upped that to twice a day, then they told me to go to a prenatal that has 28 mg each and now I do that twice a day.  It made a big difference in my energy and stamina levels.  I also experimented with potassium, magensium, and garlic.  The postassium and magensium are in  the nutritional post-op vitamin and minerals info my suregeon provided; for muscle strength, recovery from workouts, and cramp prevention.  Potassium is a major active ingrediant in Gatorade without the sugar.  The garlic I got from an article in Runner's World and 1 a day helps.  2 a day makes me feel bad and give me Montezuma's Revenge.  I also do a liquid B-Complex in addition to the 2500 mcg daily morning dose of B-12 I take.  As always, your mileage may vary but this is where Ive been and how I got to where I'm at.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
jenfar123
on 5/10/08 1:51 am
I would suggest looking at your diet the day before your exercise. I found that depending on what I ate the day before really was key. If I was too low in carbs or water, I could hardly lift a foot for a slow run. Always when I drink alot the night before I do MUCH better, but also carbs. (if I am doing a long run- I will do some gatoraide, but not normally it is verry high in calories).  I was trying to do less carbs and I was weak.Try logging all your food and tallying the carbs and protein grams. Log your exercise the following day and record how you felt and your energy level.  Look back for the following day or 2  or 3, in the food log.  When you get to a good place, note the number of protien and carbs you ate in the previous 3 days. Average them out and aim for that every day. It really does make a difference.

Jen

Banded 10/29/07
Now- 5.2cc /10cc band
highest preop- 248, sugery- 238, current- 186, goal- 145

Linn D.
on 5/10/08 9:22 am - Missoula, MT
Scott,  Did you take a break in running?  I assume you were able to run the full 5k?  I have a couple other suggestions for you.  Even when training for any race, I rarely run more than 4 days a week.  I try for one longish run (Sat), 2 days later a shorter slower recovery run (Mon), 2 days later a speed run (Wed), then the next day a slower recovery run (Thurs).  That brings it back to the next longer run on Sat.  The days I don't run are usually for spinning class or swimming.  I'm training for another triathlon so it's a little different for me now, but I still run only 3-4 times/week to keep my legs fresh.  I never do strength training on my legs since I use them so much for cardio and don't personally feel the need.  I also eat a lot of carbs, plenty of protein, and take extra iron at least 3 days/week because I was anemic when I was training for my marathon.  I often eat a banana and have coffee in the morning before I work out and always feel like I have plenty of energy.  There are those days that it just feels awful but you do it anyway.  Try running just 3 days a week for now and see if that helps you feel better.  Also, try not to stop and walk just slow your pace instead.  It's much harder to start running again once you stop to walk.  I don't know if I was much help, but that's my take and what I do.  Linn
Rob S.
on 5/11/08 4:53 am - DE
Scott, One of the things that you may do is supplement your iron intake.  You don't hear much about men needing extra iron, but I started supplementing about three years ago.  Evidently sweat has a way of getting rid of loads of iron supplements.  Sometimes the doctors don't check it, but lower iron can cause low-energy.  So can reduced protein. It's sounds like your getting your carido in, but may be neglecting your strength training.  I would check in with your doctor, nutritionist, and personal trainer.  Good luck and keep working. Rob
Seht
on 5/11/08 8:14 am
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Yes I did run the full 5k, I do already take an Iron suppliment. I'm going to start looking at what I ate the day before and the day of my work outs to see if I can see any patterns. Thanks again for the ideas. Scott

Earl C.
on 5/11/08 1:46 pm - Circleville, OH

I'm not a runner, but do read a lot of different training methods from different sports and know some Olympic and world class athletes.  If you think about it, nobody...nobody can improve at a constant rate indefinitely. There has to be a genetic limit for everyone, whether it's running faster, swimming farther or lifting heavier.  If not, then everyone could run a Marathon in 2 hours and bench press 1000 pounds. Just doesn't happen. Most high level athletes cycle their training. When you did your 5k, you had peaked for it. After the peak, you have to back off and recover, then work toward another peak. If you're lucky you can peak at a higher level. But after a certain level you're very lucky to reach previous peaks, let alone surpass them. I'm not trying to throw you off your goals. Just you need to cycle your training, build in recovery weekly, monthly and yearly. Pick 2, 3 or 4 races a year and peak for them and then ease up after the race, recover, then start peaking for the next race. There are so many books and articles on cycling and periodization but here's a few links to get you started. Sometimes it gets a little complicated but basically, back off after peaking and build in recovery days into your weekly routine.

Good luck

Earl

http://www.hillrunner.com/articles/article.php/periodization _for_running http://www.elitefts.com/documents/periodization.htm

Most Active