Resting Metabolic rate

Mifiremedic
on 5/8/08 9:59 pm - MI

Hey friends,

Last night at our monthly Triathlon club meeting, there was a presentation put on by a lady who does fitness testing. The tests include Resting Metabolic Rate testing, VO2 and VCO2 testing, heart rate testing for optimal fitness. I could have listened to this lady for hours, as I found it all extremely interesting.

The biggest thing I found intriguing was the Resting Metabolic rate testing. Essentially what happens you breath into this mask thingy, and it somehow tells you how many calories you need to maintain your weight. So from there you deduct 500 or so calories to lose weight. However when you combine the other tests you can predict with certainty just how many calories you will need while running, biking, etc in a certain heart rate. This way you dont bonk during a triathlon, bike race or road race.

One club officer showed his data, and it showed that he needed 3,200 calories to maintain his weight. He was surprised because he was training for triathlons and eating roughly 2000 calories. And he was never progressing like he should have been for the amount of time he was putting in. After finding out his calorie burn, calories needed, etc, he started improving almost immediately. Has anyone else done something like this?

If so, what kind of results did you get? Curt

NicoleLynn
on 5/9/08 1:11 am - Minneapolis, MN
Curt~That does sound interesting!  I haven't done this, but am really interested in seeing if I can find some place around here that offers these as I am really trying to figure all of that information out.  My sister is a personal trainer and health coach so I am going to see if she has any knowledge about it and I will post with any additional info I get.  Thanks!  Nicole

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/08 4:58 am, edited 5/9/08 4:59 am - Island Heights, NJ
Curt,
I really need to do this...
Our Club's main bike shop has offered these tests for a few years now.
But, it's like 400 Bucks!
I give that joint enough dough as it is!

-A.J.
Mifiremedic
on 5/9/08 5:00 am - MI
Wow.. Then we must be getting a great deal. Were being charged like $175 for both the run and bike testing..
cbrock1592
on 5/9/08 12:02 pm - New Haven, CT
I have done the RMR testing with the BodyGem (my RMR is 1950) $40 I have also done the VO2 Max testing. $150 What I got out of the RMR was that I was not eating enough.   So I have since up'd my calories. The VO2 max told me where to exercise for what I want to accomplish.  My weight had stalled and wasn't moving, but I was working out alot and very intense. I learned where my fat burning zone was and found out I was working out too intensely.  As soon as I slowed down - I started seeing results. Good investment to make in yourself!

Christine
band date: August 1, 2007
Band Removal Date:  Sept 30, 2008
Highest Weight: 355 lbs
Day of Surgery: 231 lbs
Current Weight: 185 lbs

Mifiremedic
on 5/9/08 11:59 pm - MI
Christine,

Thanks for the input. I also am starting to believe that it would be a good investment. It kinda makes some sense on why I dont continue to lose weight while working out.

Once again, thanks
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/08 11:12 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I had my RMR and V02 max tested in May, 2007, by New Leaf Fitness.  I found the information very helpful - it helped me tweak my daily calorie intake, as well as my exercise routine.  It's like figuring out how many miles per gallon your car gets -- how much "fuel" do you need to lose, maintain, or gain?  Normal price for this service in my area is $150-200, but my gym brought the rep in for a week, so I was able to get tested for $35, which was great.   Knowing what I know now, I'd absolutely pay $150-200 to get tested (or rested) [my gym isn't planning to bring this guy back in].  I found the information invaluable - I'm 2 1/2 years out, maintaining a 210 pound loss, working out ~10 hours per week, averaging 2200-2400 calories per day, and loving life.  Having this information helped me know that I'm doing the right things to be successful - Kellie
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/08 2:52 am, edited 5/13/08 2:52 am - Miramar Beach, FL
Hi ya, Curt  ;-) I've had the RMR test done by a nutritionist at my gym twice.  The first time, I was still at about 200 lbs., and had just started exercising.  My RMR was just under 2,000 at that point.  After reaching goal and adding a bunch of muscle, I had it done again, and it had lowered to about 1700.  This was based on "light" daily activity level, but did not include "purposeful" exercise.   I don't really keep a count of my calories or other nutritional components these days, though, so that info doesn't really do me much good.  I just know I can eat (and drink!) a whole lot without gaining! It's a pretty cool tool, though, if you use it properly.  I got a 4-page printout with all kinds of data, including calorie and exercise budgets, and various nutritional goals (recommended fat/protein/fiber/vitamins, etc).  They also offered (at a price), a computer program called "Balance Log" that allows you to use the data to customize your program.  Interesting, but a bit too anal retentive for my taste! (Edit to add:  Mine cost $80) Tami
Most Active