Underarm Fat/Skin

gottaluvave
on 5/8/08 11:43 am - Dallas, TX
I have been working out for quite some time...my triceps are really getting nice!  However, the skin under my arm is still very hangy.   Is 'hangy' even a word?  Any tips?

Start Weight:   256
Surgery Weight: 248
Lowest Weight: 176
Revision Weight: 201
Current Weight:  196
Goal:  165

Never turning back!!!!!!!!

wjoegreen
on 5/9/08 2:10 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Well , since its been 14 hours and you got no takers,....I'm not female so I don't have the sleeveless ans spagetthi strap pressures you have, I wear shirts with sleeves unless I'm working outside and them I might wear a sleeveless t-shirt and don't really care if the ole bat flaps hang some.  I noticed them while runnig one day.  I kep thinking someone was coming up behind me but everytime I 'd turn to see,...the sound stopped.  Eventually I realized it was my bat flaps smacking I was hearing.  No more running in sleeveless t-shirts!!!                  I was fortunate I suppose in that even witha 170 lb maintained weight loss, the flaps are minimal.  How?  All I can attribute it too is walking, jogging and maybe the dirt shoveling I did building a 10x14 shed addition last summer which was a 3-4 month project in the evenings and weekends around my 8-12 month out post-op period.  The addition was into a hill and 24" deep at the lowest point (deepest into the hill, 10ft across.  I had to dig it out for the foundation to be level and even with the existing shed it was being added onto.  I dug it out too deep and had to shovel it back in, then level it, and move the excess dirt to other locations around my yard.  I got a pretty good work out from that those few months and it was mostly arms and twisting.  Good luck with that.  Maybe some of the ladies from the Board will jump in here and help me out.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
gottaluvave
on 5/9/08 2:47 am - Dallas, TX

Thank you Joe for your reply!  I guess I am going to have to think outside the box, because I ain't gonna build a shed...HEE HEE!

This is my third post on this forum that (almost ) went unanswered.

I am beginning to think I have computer B.O....ha!

Start Weight:   256
Surgery Weight: 248
Lowest Weight: 176
Revision Weight: 201
Current Weight:  196
Goal:  165

Never turning back!!!!!!!!

Deanna34
on 5/9/08 4:41 am - Salem, OR
Well, I'll chime in ... but I don't really have any advice!  I've been lifting weights since 1 month post-op and I still have skin flappage under my arms and I'm 2 years out today!!!  The tops of my arms and shoulders look great but that saggy skin is still there and I do not like it one bit!  I really wish there was something I could do because it does bother me a lot and makes me self conscious to wear sleeveless tops.  But if anyone dares to say something about it, I will gladly make use of my muscles and smack them a good one!  Haha! --Deanna

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

liz A.
on 5/9/08 5:23 am
my friend had plastic surgery.  sorry, thats all I've got.  I can ask my friend the exercise nazi if you want.  he's very proud of his "guns"

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Ruth A.
on 5/9/08 5:48 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Sorry, I can't help either.  I was waiting to read the replies as I'm having the same problem. I've been doing weights for about 3 weeks and have really noticed a difference in the muscles in my upper arms.  Only trouble is that it's enhanced (!!!!) the flap underneath................aghhhhhh.   Guess we either have to become body builders and fill up that skin with big 'ol muscles or put up with it!!

horselady71742
on 5/9/08 10:04 am - Fordyce, AR
My skin flappage is there, but is better than most and this is what I attribute it to.. When I walk, either on the treadmill or on the road, I hold 5 lb weights in my hands and hold my arms over my head at a 90 degree angle, elbows facing out.  Do this for 5-10 minutes, rest for 5, then again the entire time I am walking.  This is what my nutritionist told me, and she is a workout gu-ru!! Hope this helps, it has worked for me, or I like to think it worked.   Rhonda D.
wjoegreen
on 5/9/08 12:09 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
I'm glad that arm thing worked,...but I guess that means the shed foundation digging and building techique video isn't gonna sell............
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Monica P.
on 5/12/08 9:00 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

after working with a trainer for over 6 months my arms are fierce.  my biceps are bulging, my triceps are strong...

...but you'd never know it because they're hidden under all the flab/skin.   Sometimes i pull the skin tight to imagine what my arms would look like if I had plastics.

As soon as I can, I'm getting the arms done.

Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/08 3:45 am - Miramar Beach, FL
I think exercise can drastically improve how you look, but unfortunately, it can't change the nature of your skin, which has more to do with genetics and how you carried your weight. I've been strength training for almost a year and a half.  I'm very fortunate with my arms.  But, I carried most of my excess weight below the waist, and that's where *my* saggy excess skin is located.  I don't care how much I exercise, it's unlikely to improve without plastic surgery.   Tami
Most Active