Half marathon advice needed ...

Deanna34
on 5/8/08 8:29 am - Salem, OR
Okay, so my first half marathon is ONE MONTH AWAY!  I'm starting to get nervous!  I need some advice from all you half marathon veterans ... what should I do leading up to the race?  I've been doing 3 treadmill runs during the week for 3 miles each time, 1 weekend long run adding 1 mile each weekend (will be 10 miles this weekend), 1 hour weight lifting class twice a week, and either elliptical or Spin Class once a week.  I'm tired.  Honestly, I'm getting tired from all this but I want to build up the right momentum before the half marathon.  Should I cut down on the weight lifting class before the race?  We've been varying the weight lifting routine a lot so after every class I have some sore muscles I never knew existed!  Anyway, do I keep going strong up until the race or do I taper off on some of the other exercise and just run?  Also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

MaryS
on 5/8/08 10:44 am - Long Island, NY
Deanna, First, you are doing great. I think you are super prepared for the half marathon. You might want to cut back on the weight training the week prior to the race if you are concerned about sore muscles. I am going to email you the half marathon program I followed, it will give you an idea about tapering mileage the last couple of weeks prior to the race. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Deanna34
on 5/8/08 12:36 pm - Salem, OR
Thanks Mary!  That program you sent me looks cool.  I have been following another one that is similar but it never really said how much crosstraining and when to taper off on it, etc.  So this one helped a bit.  Thanks so much for your help! --Deanna  :)

--Grace Hansen

Linn D.
on 5/8/08 12:11 pm - Missoula, MT
Deanna,   I ditto Mary.  I followed a plan that called for tapering starting at the end of the week before so that you'll be fresh for the race.  You'll be surprised how much better you'll feel on race day than you did on any of your long runs. I'm so excited for you!  You'll do GREAT.   Linn
Deanna34
on 5/8/08 12:37 pm - Salem, OR
Thanks Linn!  I absolutely hated my last weekend long run!  I just hope and pray that race day will be better and the excitement and competitiveness will kick in and make it easier!  I don't know how you all do full marathons!!! --Deanna  :)

--Grace Hansen

Ruth A.
on 5/9/08 5:52 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Hi Deanna as you know, I'm in complete ignorance here and have no advice to offer, but I just wanted to to wish you all the best for your run.  You have been and still are my inspiration to run and work out.  It's all thanks to you that I am finally getting somewhere and sticking with it - thank you. Hope you enjoy it and come out from it triumphant - I'm sure you will!!

Deanna34
on 5/9/08 8:12 am - Salem, OR
(((((Ruthie!)))))  It's so good to see you over here!  I knew I'd make an exercuse guru out of you!!!  You'll be signing up for your first 5K before ya know it!!! --Deanna  :)

--Grace Hansen

Kevin A.
on 5/9/08 11:47 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Sounds like you got all the info you need. You are ready!!!
Best wishes on your 1/2 marathon!!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Most Active