Advice Needed Please

Ruth A.
on 5/7/08 5:24 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Hi I started working out three weeks ago, after finally joining a gym.  My initial goal is to be able to run a mile without stopping, then build it up from there.  My second hope was that it would also get my weight dropping again. I go 2/3 times a week to the gym, and do 20 minutes on the treadmill, combination of running and walking, then 15 minutes of different weight exercises, then 10 minutes on the cross trainer.  I also go to a fab abs class (a killer at the moment!!). My question is this - when you started exercising/running, did you gain weight?  I have gained, when I was hoping to lose.  I understand that there will (hopefully) be an exchange of fat cells going and muscle cells building, but I was not expecting to gain as much as I have ~ 7 pounds.  I am on a low carb/high protein/low calorie diet. Any advice / wisdom from your experience would really help. Thank you

Scott William
on 5/7/08 9:41 pm
I started at the gym right after surgery so I lost for the first 6 months.  After that I started training for a marathon and leveled off.  Part of it was due to the muscle gain and the other part was an increased appetite.  If you are adding muscle, you can gain and the legs have some big muscles.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Ruth A.
on 5/8/08 11:36 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Thanks for your reply.  I wish I'd started when I was 6 months out, but I guess better late than never.  I'm looking forward to the shapely muscle legs to come...

wjoegreen
on 5/8/08 12:09 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Weight loss is nice but dimensions are more important.  Focus more on clothing sizes and how you look in the mirror rather than just what the scale is telling you.   It starts with the fat celles versus muscle cells but it is more about burning fat, optimizing you fat burning capabilty/your metabolism.  It takes a little longer but the muscles you are toning, tightening, and building will be of greater beneifit to you than if you  lose a bunch of weigh that includes your muscle mass and become a petite weakling with lots of flabby skin. (The flabby skin still happens but I am confident it is minimized with exercise.)  You keep doing the right things and good will come of it.  You will feel better and look better and that builds self esteem and self confidence which improves your perspective and outlook.  You are going down a good path.  The investment is a bit more but so are the benefits.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Ruth A.
on 5/8/08 11:39 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Thank you for your encouragement, it has really helped me realise that whether I lose weight or not, this is the right road for me health wise and sefl esteme wise.  Thank you for the reminder of the benefits. I'll be patient and stick with it for the long haul...I'm sure there is far more going on in my body than outward appearances at the moment.

MaryS
on 5/8/08 3:12 am - Long Island, NY
Ruth, Congrats on starting an exercise program, the health benefits (both mental and physical) are amazing.  It isn't uncommon to gain weight when you start running, but it usually occurs when running longer distances.  You weight may be up because the muscles are holding onto water.  The average person won't add more than a pound or so of muscle a month.  While your muscles get stronger, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are increasing your muscle mass, it is very hard to add muscle mass.  Make sure you are watching that your food intake hasn't increase along with your exercise. Try not to worry about the weight gain, and keep up your exercise.  If you aren't eating more everything will balance out as your body adapts to the new routine. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Ruth A.
on 5/8/08 11:42 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Thanks Mary. I have noticed I've been more hungry since starting to exercise, and have been trying to keep to my usual diet.  I read the post re eating carbs or protein before eating so have been thinking about what to eat prior to a work out to give me more energy. It was ineresting what you say re holding onto water.  I am going to try drinking more to see if my body is holding on because I'm not drinking enough.

Most Active