I flunked hip-hop class last night!

Jean M.
on 5/7/08 2:52 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I am 54 yrs old and have been walking 30 min/day since WLS nearly 8 months ago.  Recently I added 2 aerobics classes a week and though I have to do it all low-impact style, I can keep up OK.  When I was in my teens & 20's, I studied modern dance, ballet, and jazz dance so I figured I could handle a hip-hop class.  Wrong!  I understood how to do the moves and combine them into sequences, but I couldn't keep up - I just can't move fast enough.  Is hip-hop just a young person's activity?  Are there any other oldsters out there who do hip-hop?  Is there a prayer I'll be able to keep up with it once I get more fit?  I'm so disappointed... Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Linn D.
on 5/7/08 5:44 am - Missoula, MT

Jean, I think you're just a little out of practice trying to move that quickly.  If you like the class, keep going and I'm willing to bet that in just a few weeks you'll be Hip-Hopping in grand style and loving every minute of it!  I'm 42 and I thihnk it's cool that you went to begin with, and with your past dance study I bet with just a little time you'll be do great.  As I'm sure you know, dance involves a lot of anticipation, and you just haven't done it enogh so that your body knows where it's supposed to be in the next two seconds.  I'll be disappointed if you don't keep going.  It sounds like a lot of fun.  I love to dance and would take a class like that in a heartbeat if it was offered.  Of course, I wouldn't be able to keep up either right away because it's a new style for me.  Linn

onecyn
on 5/7/08 7:42 am - El Dorado, CA
Hi Jean, I'll be 54 in September and have been comtemplating hip-hop myself, or Zumba.  The thought of the treadmill or some other mundane piece of equipment bores me to tears.  So, you have inspired me to join up.  Don't quit yet...

~ Cindy

Elisa K.
on 5/7/08 10:42 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Jean - you should definitely keep going!!  You haven't danced in years - it will probably take a few lessons to get back into the swing of things.  Hang in there - it will get better!!  I don't do hip hop, but I take tap and jazz, and I LOVE it!!  I was discouraged at first, because I felt like a spazz, but each week I saw improvement, and that kept me going.  Next month is my recital - I'll be sure to post pictures!! Keep going, and enjoy!!  You will be dropping it like it's hot before you know it!!
wjoegreen
on 5/8/08 12:17 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Would have even signed up for such a class 8 months ago?                            How many 50+ students/dancers are in this class?                   You didn't flunk hip hop,....but you are about to set a new standard for some others and let some people know life ain't over after 50.      Enjoy your new life and new body, you sexy senior citizen.     Whats that old saying?  There might be snow on the roof but theres fire in the pot!     
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
MaryS
on 5/8/08 2:57 am - Long Island, NY

Jean,

Keep going - you will definitely build up your stamina.  It is amazing how you can get one activity down and then you try something new it is more of a challenge than you might think.  I know it happened to me - I was fit enough to run a marathon but when I did a spin class it really knocked me out! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

gottaluvave
on 5/8/08 11:57 am - Dallas, TX
You are too cute...hip hop was a younger thing, I suppose, but it does not have to be limited to younger people.  Live your dreams pretty lady.  Just like me.  I am wanting to run a marathon, however, I can barely run a half mile!! I have to start somewhere, just like you do.  Rome was not built in a day. Now, I cannot help you if you do not have any rythm (sp?), but no one in the class is watching you, everyone feels awkward in there, I assure you. WAY TO GO FOR TRYING!!!

Start Weight:   256
Surgery Weight: 248
Lowest Weight: 176
Revision Weight: 201
Current Weight:  196
Goal:  165

Never turning back!!!!!!!!

Most Active