Muscle confusion?

Andrea U.
on 5/6/08 1:39 am - Wilson, NC
Ok.. so I've been doing some reading and am curious what people think about this and how to incorporate it in my current routine. Here's my routine now: MWF - Couch-5k program (20 min), 10 min elliptical, about 20 min upper body weights TRS - 30 min *hard* elliptical (varrying levels, speeds), about 20 min lower body weights Should I have a 4 day spread of weights where I don't duplicate machines more than 1x/wk?  Should I do hard core cardio days for the other 2 days?  Inquiring minds want to know! Keep in mind that I can go to the gym 1x/day M-Sat, and can stay about 1.5 hours max (kids, daycare, yadda yadda yadda). Thanks!
stellalukin
on 5/6/08 7:22 am - Cambridge, MA
Hi there!  Have you ever been to www.cathe.com?  Cathe is a big big fan of muscle confusion and has a great message board (click on "ask cathe").  When I asked a similar question, I told her pretty much what you said, except I had slightly less time to work out at the gym (pretty much limited to 1hr).  She recommended that for purposes of weight loss, that I do cardio 35-45 minutes daily, and then concentrate on one body part per day with the weights.  So Monday- legs Tuesday- chest Wednesday- back, etc., and that I work out with the heaviest weight that I can handle safely.  One complete day of rest. I did the rotation for 6 weeks and got great results.    I don't know if that helped answer your question or not? 
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

Most Active