on 5/5/08 10:35 am - Missouri City, TX

I am looking into doing yoga.  Has anyone tried it and did they enjoy it? Marti

BS 5/3/04
   P/S(ADOMINIALPLASTY, HERNIA REPAIR) 5/24/06
                               P/S(BR/BL) 6/25/07

"LIVE, LAUGH, & LOVE"

NicoleLynn
on 5/5/08 12:00 pm - Minneapolis, MN
I do yoga 4 times a week and absolutely LOVE it!  I have become a lot more flexible and can also tell that I am building up strength in my upperr body as well!  I do power yoga so I get a really good workout.  I got a membership at one of the studios here in the Twin Cities and find that it is much more helpful than just doing the videos, but it is also a bit pricey.  If you are looking at using videos I would highly reccommend any videos from Gaiam (www.gaiam.com) as they will cover all levels (beginners - advanced) and the teachers are really good.  I hope this helps! Nicole

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

MARTI B.
on 5/5/08 12:19 pm - Missouri City, TX
Thank you for your reply.  My HOA has gyms that I would be going to.  I guess i am looking for something different to do and to motivate me.  I use to work out 5 days a week and swim 5 miles every other day and now i just can't motivate myself.  Hoping this will help and get me active again.  I would love to run but i just can't motivated for that either. What kind of clothes do you wear during YOGA?  Do you take a beach towel with you when you go or just  a hand towel?
                                      BS 5/3/04
                               P/S(BR/BL) 6/25/07

"LIVE, LAUGH, & LOVE"

NicoleLynn
on 5/6/08 2:04 am - Minneapolis, MN
I have a mat and then a cloth covering that I put over the mat that helps me not to slip.  I have seen people use beach towles over the mats as well.  I always bring a hand towel to wipe the sweat during my workout.  For clothes I usually wear cotton knit workout pants and a tank top.  I switched from going to the gym to doing yoga because I was getting bored at the gym and yoga really has kept me a lot more motivated because you can see yourself improving each time you go by deeping your poses and increasing balance.  It also really helps to get rid of the stress from the day.  Hope you like it!

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

MARTI B.
on 5/6/08 8:09 am - Missouri City, TX
Thank you for your reply.  This helps me a lot. Marti
                                      BS 5/3/04
                               P/S(BR/BL) 6/25/07

"LIVE, LAUGH, & LOVE"

Andrea U.
on 5/5/08 10:41 pm - Wilson, NC
I've done yoga off and on for about 8 years now, and I really enjoy it.  The classes in this area just don't match up with times I can go to the gym (it's hard to make *any* class when you have two little ones making your schedule for you...) Anyway, I wore loose, longish pants (cropped pants are the best IMHO), and a loose but not falling-off tee.  There are a number of inverted positions in which you will not be sitting or standing (such as downward facing dog.. feet and hands on floor with butt in air, etc.) and the loose but long clothes help with that. I'd take a hand towel.  They should provide the props you will need.. you can get your own once you figure out what you'll need and once you decide you enjoy it enough to stick around.
MARTI B.
on 5/6/08 8:12 am - Missouri City, TX
Thanks for your reply.  I am really looking forward to doing this but a little embarrassed too since you mentioned my butt in the air.  I am very cautious about my butt because i do have a little in the trunk but not that much.  Just more then my flat ass family and my sister can't figure out where i got the junk from. Thanks again. Marti
                                      BS 5/3/04
                               P/S(BR/BL) 6/25/07

"LIVE, LAUGH, & LOVE"

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/08 10:48 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I just started doing yoga about 6 weeks ago and I really like it.  I've been doing cardio and strength training regularly for 2+ years now, but I wasn't really doing anything for flexibility.  Yoga seemed like the perfect thing to add to my routine, and I'm really glad I did.   I'm doing a beginning yoga class once a week, and have also tried a yoga flow class after I'dthe done beginning yoga class 4-5 times.  Although I can't do all the poses yet, both instructors are great about offering different options and they are super supportive of my efforts, which makes me really comfortable in trying new things.   I'm enjoying yoga for a few reasons.  First, it's really good exercise for your core muscles.  Second, it helps improve and maintain your flexibility, and will help develop nice, long lean muscles.  Third, it's a great way for me to find a little "Zen" in my otherwise hectic life.  And honey, I need all the Zen I can get...   I thought about trying yoga for about 6 months before I worked up the nerve to go to a class.  My only regret is that I didn't go sooner, as I'm really enjoying it.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Kellie
MARTI B.
on 5/6/08 8:13 am - Missouri City, TX
I will definatly be doing Yoga.  This sounds like a lot of fun and will help me with my stressful job. Thanks again for your reply. Marti
                                      BS 5/3/04
                               P/S(BR/BL) 6/25/07

"LIVE, LAUGH, & LOVE"

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/08 1:22 am

I go to a yoga class every wednesday night. I usually wear long loose shorts and a loose t-shirt.  this helps with giving me a good range of motion. My recommendation is that you go to a sporting goods store (or Target) and get your own sticky mat. the gym that I go to provides you with them, but I think it's just more hygenic to have your own. Also, let your yoga instructor know you are new so that she or he can suggest modified poses for you.  

Most Active