5 weeks post op, what can i do now?

dawnmaher
on 5/4/08 2:05 pm - Surprise, AZ
Hi all, this is my first time on this forum.  I am 5 weeks post of from Lap RNY and down to 211 from 236!  So far the only excersising I have been doing is walking and some swimming.  Is it too early for me to go to the gym and start using machines and weights?    What should I be careful of and how much can I handle?  I think I have recovered very very well, and quite fast alho I am 52 and never have been too physically active.  I would love some thoughts from you all.  Huggs, Dawn
wjoegreen
on 5/5/08 12:23 am, edited 5/5/08 12:23 am - Colonial Heights, VA
You are doing what best. 6-8 wks is standard before doing much else unless your surgeons OK's it based on your personal consdition from surgery and how you are healing.  Doing too much too soon can cause a major set back and its just not worth it.  That being said,...let me contradict myself some because I'm bull-headed and wanted to do more too soon too,...so, if you can do weight machines or free weights with proper form that isolates the muscle or muscle group you are targeting to work on, you can do some upper body stuff; curls, military lifts; rows; pull downs, etc. Jus take it easy and don't mess up the abs where the incisions are.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
dawnmaher
on 5/5/08 12:27 pm - Surprise, AZ
Thanks for the info Joe,  since i am not yet experienced on any of those machines I think i had better wait a few more weeks and till after my surgeon appt in June.  I don't think I can do some of those excersises without using my abdomen muscles just yet.  Dawn
stellalukin
on 5/5/08 12:11 pm - Cambridge, MA
I got the OK from my surgeon for cardio about 2 wks ago, with the exception of anything that works the abdominal muscles primarily (like a rowing machine).  She also said OK to light weights (around 10lbs), and once I get to 6wks out I could go slightly heavier.  I'm supposed to take it easy on the abs for a bit longer, and to listen to my body and not work out that day if I am feeling overly fatigued or exhausted.  Other than that it's GREAT!  I run, do the elliptical the stairmaster and some Nautilus machines & that has been just fine for right now.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

dawnmaher
on 5/5/08 12:29 pm - Surprise, AZ
wow, you are amazing!  no wonder you have lost so  much weight so fast!  I wanna be like you :)  Thanks for the input!  Dawn
Most Active