My Spinning Testimonial

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/08 4:49 am - Miramar Beach, FL
I got an email this week from Spinning.com saying that they were looking for testimonials about Spinning success stories, for possible filming by a production company doing commericals for new "at home" Spinning bikes.  Those selected get a free trip to Miami, hotel accommodations, and entrance to the national Spinning conference.  I thought I'd share with ya'll my testimony:

My name is Tami, and I’m an obesity survivor!   

A little over 18 months ago, I was 273 lbs., and a size 26W.  I had high blood pressure and suffered from aching joints and heel spurs.  I had low energy, and avoided shopping and social activities.  At age 47, I decided that it was time to take charge of my life and health. To help facilitate weight loss, I had lap band surgery in September '06, which helped with portion control and hunger management.  Within a few months, I had lost over 70 lbs., and my doctor told me that although I'd developed much better eating habits, if I wanted to get all the way to goal, exercise would be essential. 

I joined a gym, and started slowly, but consistently.  One day, I was on the elliptical, chatting with the person next to me about the "elite" athletes who were heading to the Spinning room, and saying how I wished I was fit enough to join them.  A guy nearby overhead me, and stopped by to talk to me about Spinning.  He had recently completed Spinning Instructor Orientation, and told me that Spinning is a great low-impact exercise for anyone, at every level of fitness, and that each individual can customize their workout by simply adjusting their resistance and cadence.  A few weeks later, my gym offered an "Intro to Spinning" course, and I decided to give it a shot.  I've been addicted ever since!  I'm very lucky to have a Master Spinning Instructor, Lisa Coen, who leads classes at my gym, and she has not only instilled in me a love of Spinning, she's taught me a lot about my metabolism and how to maximize fat burning as well. 

Since starting Spinning in February '07, I've lost an additional 54 lbs., for a total weight loss of 124 lbs.  Even better, I’ve gone off of 3 prescription medicines, dropped to a size 6/8, my heel spurs are gone, and my hips and knees no longer ache.    I now feel strong, energetic, and physically fit.  I recently came in second place in a fitness challenge at my gym!  A cloud of apathy has lifted from my life.  I’m much more self-confident, and ready to take on new challenges.  I plan to take the Spinning Instructor Orientation myself in a few weeks, and hope to share my love of Spinning with other people who want to get fit.

I feel so very lucky to have had the opportunity to recover from obesity and regain control of my health and fitness.  Life is too short not to live it!

Seht
on 5/1/08 5:15 am
Awesome!

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Andrea U.
on 5/1/08 10:52 am - Wilson, NC
I'm glad you posted this.. I've been envious of the spinners myself and didn't think I could even think about joining in. You might have just given me the guts to give it a shot.
Most Active