Ideas for pre-op exercise?

Sommer
on 4/28/08 5:35 am - Charlotte, NC
Any good tips on what I can do prior to surgery to get myself in the mode for afterward?  Besides walking...I already do that.  I am trying to avoid all the lose skin so I would like to start toning, I guess??  LOL, that is funny.  I guess If I could do it now, I should have been doing it all along.  I guess I have just gotten inspiration form knowing I am going to have surgery.
stitch0102
on 4/28/08 5:56 am - Jersey Shore, PA
I was always into sports, especially powerlifting, until I gained too much weight.  Before surgery, I got one of those stability balls and some light dumbbells.  I got a DVD with some exercises and started doing their routine.  Eventually I did my own routine and increased my weights.  That was pre-surgery and it definately helped me after as I now am back to the Y and lifting "real" weights again.  I also got a recumbant stationary bike and rode the heck out of it.  I couldn't do too much walking but the bike helped me a lot.   Good luck!

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

Scott William
on 4/28/08 9:21 pm
I did some eliptical as a pre-op.  It was easy on the joints.  Weight training is good also.  Swimming.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 4/28/08 9:38 pm - DE
Good for you.  Now is the best time to start perparing you for what you want your life to look like after your surgery.  Don't wait. What I did pre-surgery (about three months prior) was to join a gym, and get a personal trainer for a few sessions.  The thing he taught me was to do about 1/2 hour of continuous movement during each workout.  I did a lot of squats on a swiss ball against a wall.  But after each rep I had to walk a lap.  Same with any weight exercises.  It was always do a rep, do a lap.  It really got me revved up.  By the time of my surgery, I was up to fourty minutes.  I think I might have been the fastest waddler on that track. Walking after surgery was much easier since I had started moving prior to surgery.  Loose skin may be an issue regardless of whether you start to tone now or not.  The difference is whether you end up with fatty skin or real loose skin.   Good luck with your journey. Rob
Most Active