new to the Exercise & Fitness forum

Monica P.
on 4/28/08 4:03 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

I'm hiding out over here because I have a confession to make.

I like to run.

Before my RnY last July I never ran. I hated it, even in high school when I was less overweight I despised running. After surgery I began working with a personal trainer and one day he told me to run during my workout.  I thought he was crazy.  I was shocked to discover that I could run.

It was an empowering discovery.

After that  I would go on my walks I would get inspired and challenge myself. "I'm going to jog til I get to that trash can." .....then I'd reach it, realize I felt fine and kept going.  So now I've done a few 5ks, my first 10k is next weekend.....and I've signed up to do a half-marathon at the end of the summer. 

So now I realize that I've caught the bug and as much as I hate to admit the signs are everywhere that I'm in love with running:

When I sit in my cubicle at work, I get antsy and want to be outside running.

The most expensive shoes I own are my running shoes.

When I'm driving and see people running I want to honk and cheer them on.....or I'm jealous that they're going so fast. :)

It's still hard to consider myself a runner, but I think I am.

Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Deanna34
on 4/28/08 4:09 am - Salem, OR
Heehee!  You ARE a runner!  Join the club ... there are a bunch of us on here!  I was totally like you ... hated running growing up.  But it was always something I longed to conquer.  Now I think about it all the time.  I own more running gear than I do regular clothing.  I also have a half marathon coming up in June.  I'm scared but excited at the same time!  We can do it though ... look how far we've come! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Monica P.
on 4/28/08 4:15 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

I love gear too!!!  I just got a sports watch/heart rate monitor....I wanted to wear it the whole weekend to watch my heart rate change.

Which half marathon are you doing??  I want to do one in San Francisco. Not sure when I'll be ready to do a full marathon.

Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

Deanna34
on 4/28/08 4:47 am - Salem, OR
Oh my gosh, that is too funny!  I bought a heart rate monitor/watch and I wore it for 24 hours just to see how many calories I burned in a day!  I've done that a couple times just to see how it fluctuates from day to day.  It's really cool to see how much you're doing!   I signed up for the Helvetia Half Marathon that is in Hillsboro, Oregon.  I've looked at coming down to San Francisco for a half or full marathon though because it would be so cool!  Which one are you looking at? --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Sommer
on 4/28/08 5:36 am - Charlotte, NC
Man, I hope I turn out like you guys...I sure hate running right now!
Kevin A.
on 4/28/08 6:48 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Look who found her way over here!! Very cool!! If you look close you can see yourself running in the back ground of my picture!!

Good luck this weekend!!

And you still own me money!!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Monica P.
on 4/28/08 7:06 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

The check is in the mail....

Oh hey that IS ME!!!!  I'm shuffling!! :)

Scott William
on 4/28/08 9:18 pm
Welcome home!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
puddin2day
on 4/29/08 1:15 am - Los Angeles, CA
It's about time you "shuffled" your way over here.
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Kirsten :-)
on 4/29/08 1:46 am - Agoura Hills, CA
I've been telling you all along that YOU ARE A RUNNER!!!  Glad you finally sucked it up and admitted it!   LOL  I can't wait to run your first 10k with you on Sunday!  :-)  :-)  :-)
Most Active