5K report - the *******s got me again!

Scott William
on 4/26/08 1:55 am
Okay, I'll make this (relatively) short.  I woke up Friday at 6:30 am and went to work at 2:30 pm.  I got out of work at 8:00 am this morning and went to a local 5K.  I was there early so I was able to catch about 30 minutes of sleep before the race started. The gun goes off and we take off.  Feels really fast.  I hold off looking at the watch because no good ever comes of that!  Sometimes you look thinking its been ten minutes and it's been three.  Anyway, at the mile I am winded and my legs feel like jello.  I look down and it's 8 minutes which is a pretty slow first mile.  Mile two seemed like three but I went through that make at 15:55.  I was 5 seconds faster there.  The next mark would be the finish line.  I picked a few people ahead of me to catch and I actually did.  I was huffing and puffing and not having done a speed workout in a month didn't help either.  We got to the final 150 yards on the local high school's track and I am booking.  I look at the clock and the time is going to be good.  It had just clicked to 24 minutes.  I am cruising home with all I have when in a replay of last year's race, these two knuckle heads fly past me with 20 yards to go.  Actually, last year was with about 1 yard to go so this year I had time to mutter, "nice pace moron's".  It wasn't very nice because they are probably nice guys.  Just at the time though, I wanted to smash them with a hammer.    The final time was 24:20 which was 3 seconds slower than last year with no sleep and no speed workouts.  I am extremely happy with the result. I didn't have time to stay for the catered post race party put on by the Outback Steakhouse.  Shame!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 4/26/08 3:01 pm - Missoula, MT
Nice race, Scott!  I think you did fabulously.  One of these days I'll be able to make myself run faster in the shorter races, but I'm so used to the longer distances it's hard to get used to running shorter and faster.  Linn
Scott William
on 4/26/08 9:22 pm
Linn, If you don't so any speed work, you should try it once a week or so.  It really breaks up the monotony of the distance running.  It will also bring that 5K time down more than you would think.
Scott

Dan_P.
on 4/28/08 12:22 am - Baltimore, MD
Nice run Scott considering you were on no sleep. I had a couple of teens blow past me at the end of my run yesterday. I found it funny considering I was so wiped. Ah to be young.  'Course when I was that age I was in horrible shape, so I feel pretty good about where I'm at now.
wjoegreen
on 4/28/08 2:14 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Thats stil a pretty good time there Clyde,.....I'd take it anyday. Nice run.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Scott William
on 4/28/08 8:31 am
Thanks Joe.  I think it's my second best 5K time.  The only one faster was the same race last year.
Scott

Deanna34
on 4/28/08 4:06 am - Salem, OR
Hey hotstuff!  That time is incredible ... you totally blow me away!   --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Scott William
on 4/28/08 8:29 am
Awww!  Thanks.  The time is good but I think that I can drop it by a minute by the end of summer.  Thats the new goal.
Scott

Deanna34
on 4/29/08 8:28 am - Salem, OR

Scott, if you continue to run faster than me, I won't be able to catch up to you to pinch your butt!!!  You need to slow down, buddy!  Haha! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

kypdurran
on 4/30/08 5:59 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Heh heh.   That's funny man because I know EXACTLY the 'pace setter' guys you are talking about.    Seems like every race I have some jackass nipping at my heels for the last bit of the races.   Most of the time I just let them pass me because I don't want some chucklehead in my finish line photos stretching out to beat me.   My question to them is if they had all the damn energy to burn out the last 100 - 200 yards at a near sprint then why didn't they utilitze some of that to set a better pace earlier on in the race?   I maintain a pretty steady pace throughout every race I do and I sure the hell don't sprint the last bit mainly because I don't have that left.  

Grats on another race under your belt.  

Chad

Most Active