Running a Marathon

Linn D.
on 4/26/08 2:55 pm - Missoula, MT
Hey Kelly, If you have the desire (and time to train) it is likely very doable.  My goal wasn't as ambitious as yours.  I had surgery in Feb and started running in May or June.  Did my first race (a 10k) that October and my first half marathon the January before my first surgery anniversary.  Having completed a marathon, I do realize that it is a very huge time commitment.  If your goal is just to finish, I don't see a problem, but it may be more difficult if you want to run it because you really will need a good running base before you start really training.  My training program was 20 weeks and I also saw an increase in my appetite.  I'm over 4 years out so maintaining is where I'm at, but I would agree that it is hard to lose weight even though there are so many hours running. I wish you all the best!  Linn
Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 4/26/08 6:55 pm - OH
 I'm almost 6 months out and I amd doing the Couch to 5k program. There is no way I could see tring to do a marathon. The 5k training is hard enough. I really have to push myself. I had never ran before and its not easy but I'm determined! Good luck in whatever you choose but I would say 5k!
"Your BANDestiny is in your own hands!"
Status: Highest weight 378  Prebanding 299.6 Current Weight 244.2
kypdurran
on 4/30/08 5:54 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi Kelly.   First, it's awesome to set a goal of wanting to run a marathon.   I'm VERY goal oriented and crossing the finish line of my first marathon was one of the greatest accomplishments of my life.   While it definately IS do-able it may not the best idea to go from no running to a marathon within a year after surgery.   My suggestion would be to start slow, build your base and set some shorter term goals such as running a 5K, 10K and half-marathon within the first year.   See how that goes and then shoot for a marathon in 18 - 24 months after surgery.   A great book that I read and used loosely as my training guide was John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals.    It's a great book that outlines the training involved for walking, walk / running, run / walking and running a marathon and half-marathon.

Best of luck on your journey!

Chad

Kelly_D45236
on 4/30/08 6:04 am - Cincinnati, OH
Thank you Chad.  I will pick that book up.  I think I am being overly ambitious, but I am going to try even if I have to run/walk/run/walk.  I want to do it.
Kelly 

Most Active