Running a Marathon

Kelly_D45236
on 4/25/08 3:46 am - Cincinnati, OH
I have my surgery scheduled for May 5, 2008.  I want to run a marathon that will be next year  around my 1 year mark, actually I think it is the exact day.  I do not run now, but would like to start after the surgery.  Is this too ambitious to go from no running to being able to run 26 miles, in one year?  If there is anyone else who did it, can you give me advice as to training?  I have a good friend who works in a running store who knows I am doing this and she said she will help me train, but advice from a fellow wls-er would be appreciated.
Kelly 

Joyce65
on 4/25/08 4:44 am - Clovis, CA
Hello, I just signed up to participate in my first Marathon so I am not experienced.  From everything that Ihave been told, the training is the key.  I signed up with "Team In Training "(raises money for the Luekemia research).  The cool thing about it is that they have structured traiing programs for you and for me that is key.  I will actually train to walk and run it (next time I will work on running the entire time:-) Like I said, I have never done it but I say...Go For It!
"When the POWER of LOVE is greater than the love of power,
then the world will have peace"
1st surgery/2nd surgery/current/goal     
245/228/194/175
October 19, 2008 Nike Women's Half Marathon *completed*
November 9, 2008 Trail of Two Cities Half Marathon *completed*
May 2, 2009 End of Trail Half Marathon *completed*
May 31, 2009 San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon *completed*
Joyce65
on 4/25/08 4:45 am - Clovis, CA
P.S A WLS member on the LapBand page told me about a marathon that she is participating in in Ohio which is called the Flying Pig Marathon whichi sounds interesting:-)
245/228/194/175
Kelly_D45236
on 4/25/08 5:05 am - Cincinnati, OH
The Flying Pig is actually the marathon I was planning on running.  I think I am just going to go for it.  I can run for as long as the body holds out and then walk the rest.  Although I really do want to run it all, I am just not sure how realistic that is.  Good luck on your marathon.
Kelly 

Joyce65
on 4/25/08 5:35 am - Clovis, CA
Thanks.  The OH member who will be participating inthe Flying Pig is Laura T. (she recently posted on the Lapband Board) maybe you can look her up and she can give you some information.  SHe indicated that she had done it before and is planning on walking the half marathon. I say go for it because moving that we do no matter how little is better than no movement at all.
245/228/194/175
Rob S.
on 4/25/08 5:56 am - DE
One thing to be aware of is that if you are training for a marathon, you may not be losing weight while you are training.  Most running regimens that I have seen, and the people on the boards usually have an increased appetite.  Running seems to be unique in this regard.  Spinning, cycling, and other forms of work out do not seem to affect the appetite as much. To run a marathon is ambitious.  I couldn't have envisioned running a marathon within the first year of my surgery, and I was a gym rat.  But you have to dream, so good luck, and get ready to work harder than ever.  As far as training, it all depends on what you want to achieve.  If you want to run in under six hours, you need to really work on speed and endurance.  I've scheduled my first marathon at Disney 2009 (January 11).  I'll be five and a half years out at that point.   I have been at a 23 BMI for almost three years.  My running partner is a tyrant and never gives me a break. You find that you have to work through a lot of aches and pains, and buy a new pair of running shoes every four to six months.  Good luck. Rob
Kelly_D45236
on 4/25/08 6:16 am - Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Rob for your advice.  I was not sure, and probably still am not sure, if it is overly ambitious, which it could be for a year out.  I really, really want to do it, but I may have to settle for a 1/2 marathon, which is still nothing to take lightly.  I guess I will just try for it and see what happens.  Of course I am not going to be able to get much of a stat now since I go in for surgery on the 5th. 
Kelly 

Deanna34
on 4/25/08 9:44 am - Salem, OR
Hi Kelly! I don't see any reason why you can't aim for a marathon!  You are more ambitious than I was ... I did my first 5K before I was a year out.  I am just now working towards my half marathon in June and I'm almost 2 years out!  However, I would suggest doing a 5K first and see how that goes.  Then work your way up to a 10K and then a half marathon.  At least it would be good training for you along the way towards your ultimate goal!  I'm a firm believer that you can do anything once you set your mind to it ... so I say go for it! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

MaryS
on 4/25/08 9:29 pm - Long Island, NY
While I think a marathon is doable in a year, I'm not sure it is advisable. Generally it is recommended that you have a longer running base before attempting a marathon. Another concern would be whether or not you would be able to get enough nutrition in you to go the distance considering you'd be only a year out from surgery. Most marathon training programs call for about 4 months of training. I am running the NYC Marathon with Fred's team this year in November. The official training program starts in June and they recommend that you have a base of about 22 miles/week before starting the program. So, I wouldn't say don't do it, but I would keep your mind open to the possibility that your body might not be ready for the challenge at one year out. I do believe I remember reading about other gastric bypass patients who have done it around the one year mark, but do keep in mind that the training in grueling. One other thought, I LOVE running and I had a great first marathon experience. I have a friend who didn't train properly (also wasn't a wls patient) and never ran again after running her first marathon because her experience was so awful. Best of luck to you with you surgery and for an uneventful recovery.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 4/26/08 1:38 am
I ran my first marathon 12 months and 29 days after my surgery.  Here is what I learned: First of all, it can be done. Secondly, I wouldn't do it again.  You need time for your new habbits to take hold.  If you are going to run a marathon, you will need a solid base and then 4-6 months of training.  What Rob said was absolutely true in my case.  My appetite went through the roof while I was training.  The day I decided that I was going to run a marathon was the day that I stopped losing weight.  I didn't let the new habbits that I was learning  take hold and now I struggle like I always did.   I run 70-80 miles a month and that keeps the weight in check.  One of the new habbits is protein first and when you train for long distances you have to consume carbs.  There is no way around it.  Another (depending on the surgeon) is no water for an amount of time before and after you eat.  You need to water load before long runs and that rule makes it tough to sneak it all in with a restricted stomach.  Lastly, the appetite just gets crazy and that's the last thing you want shortly after surgery. Like I said, it can be done but please learn from me.  Take your time and start on your local 5K circut.  That will still got you out and involved but you can still consentrate on forming those healthy eating habbits that are essential to a healthy rest of your life.  I know how eager you are to get out and nail this thing but it will be waiting for you the following year.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active