need help with exercise equipment

alexia3
on 4/23/08 1:27 am - N Scituate, RI
Ok- I am finally ready to purchase something to get my butt moving on those not so nice days- and I figured this would be the forum to ask...  
I have been looking into treadmills and found a Sears Outlet center near me that has some fantastic deals!!  I am thinking that may be the way I go- but......

Is a used treadmill (like from craigslist) a better investment- or is it mostly people trying to unload thier crud for way too much money.  A lot of the ones I have found there are too hard/impossible to find info on

Do I want an eliptical instead?  Is this a better machine?

What about a recumbant bike?

I am clueless and don't want to waste money.  I want to get something I will get use out of, and will provide me with the most benefit.

Scott William
on 4/23/08 2:56 am
The sad fact is that most used exercise equipment is listed, "like new" because people get them home and don't use them (like the treadmill in my sunroom that probably has less than 200 miles on it and it's at it's second home).  I would start with something on the less expensive end and perhaps used to see if you will really stick with it.   As far as what to get, go with whatever you are most comfortable with.  I like the TM because it really feels like I am simulating an actual exercise when I run on it.  If you have joint pain or other issues the bike or the eliptical are good ideas. If you are a millionaire try this: http://www.endlesspools.com/index.html
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 4/23/08 8:08 am - Missoula, MT
I agree with Scott.  Don't spend too much money on anything you're not sure you'll stick with.  I don't exercise at home at all (and know I won't ) so I don't have any.  If there are things you already know you like to do and think you will stick with it, that's where I'd put the money.  If you're still trying stuff out, you might even find a place that may let you rent something.  Linn
Diminishing Dawn
on 4/24/08 2:06 am - Windsor, Canada
Within the first few months of my surgery, I bought a treadmill after doing alot of research. I really did use it like crazy for the first year and a half and that thing took a beating. i walked religiously for 4 miles a day.  I would be cautious with buying anything electrical used - unless you know the owner.   If you get or buy a treadmill watch for this: that you have a platform of at least 20 X 50 esp. if you might want to jog. a motor of 2 hp or more 3 year warranty Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

stitch0102
on 4/24/08 10:32 pm - Jersey Shore, PA

As has been said, you may be able to find some used stuff but also may get stung.  That said, I'm on my second recumbant stationary bike as I wore out the first one.  I found biking easier at first.  Now it's a backup thing in case the weather is bad outside.   I would like a treadmill and it may be a better option if you have the space...I don't but wish I did.  I think people may be more comfortable walking than pedling.  You can then build up speed and move to jogging.  Moving outside is also an easier transition. You should also look into some sort of weight training program. So, I would recommend going to a store that has a variety of eguipmenty you can try.  You'll see how it feels and also the actual size of the piece.  Make sure it fits your room.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

Most Active