Numb feet

Andrea U.
on 4/22/08 3:33 am - Wilson, NC
OK.. I've asked several people, but I will see what you say. On the elliptical (and only the elliptical that I've noticed), my feet go numb.  Just the outsides and toes, not the entire foot.  I take care to move my feet during the excercise (up on my toes some, actually lifting them off the pedal, etc.) but they still go numb. Anyone have any clue why?  It's annoying more than anything, but I'd love an answer.
wjoegreen
on 4/22/08 5:47 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Do you take any Blood Pressure meds? Do you take any vitamin E, B-12, garlic? Are you taking your Multi-vitamins with Iron? Are you taking Vit C? BP meds make my feet numb, espcially in the toes. Vit E, B12, and Garlic all help with circulation improvements in a different ways. Lack of iron or iron not being processed efficiently can cause feet and leg tingling and or numbness.  Taking your iron with Vit C enhances the effectiveness of the oxygen absorption and carrying capability of the blood to the muscles.  Thats what I know.  Hope any of it helps.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Linn D.
on 4/22/08 7:32 am - Missoula, MT
Mine also go numb - especially when I don't use the elliptical often.  My best educated guess is that we really don't move our feet enough to keep the circulation moving.  When you run or walk your feet are always off the ground with every step.  Not so on the elliptical.  Even with moving your feet as much as you can think of, it's probably not enough.  The only other thing I can think of is that the body position compared to foot position isn't conducive to proper blood flow.  I've heard very few people NOT having this problem on the elliptical.  I do think it gets better with time, though.  Linn
Andrea U.
on 4/22/08 9:52 am - Wilson, NC
Rob S.
on 4/22/08 10:18 am - DE
It could be as simple as wearing shoes that are too small.  Running shoes should be a full size bigger than the normal shoe that you wear.  Tight shoes restrict the blood flow in the toes. Rob
Andrea U.
on 4/22/08 10:58 am - Wilson, NC
Well, these are brand new shoes that were professionally fitted for use specifically for running.  But I had a problem with other shoes, too. And it *only* happens on the elliptical.  I can use the treadmill with no problems (including my short jogs in my couch-5k program).
Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 4/22/08 11:38 am, edited 4/22/08 11:39 am - OH
I'm glad you posted this. I have the same problem. I also expirenced this on the treadmill when I first started working out but that has greatly improved. I still have numbness on the eliptical. I am not on BP meds and I do take the aformentioned vitamims. I also have been wearing shoes that are bigger. In fact I lost weight in my feet and had to buy another size down today. I've been wondering why my feet go numb too.
"Your BANDestiny is in your own hands!"
Status: Highest weight 378  Prebanding 299.6 Current Weight 244.2
skkaa5
on 4/22/08 10:07 pm - Chepachet, RI
My feet do the same thing.  Like someone said before, I think it may have to do with the movement thing......I told my Dr. and he checked my pedial pulse and there is no problem with circulation so he thinks it's the same thing....nothing to worry about thank goodness!!
Dianne C.
on 4/23/08 11:20 am - Chesapeake, VA
I have the same trouble...the front parts of my feet go numb when I use the eliptical or stair master or run.  I went to a podiatrist, got my feet fitted in excellent running shoes that fit terrifically and got custom made inserts for the shoes for a neuroma that I also had on the bottom of my rt foot.  All these interventions do not help at all!  I take my vits, B12 is fine, but I have never had a B1... AND, it is very annoying.  Good luck!  Maybe we'll figure this one out one day!

Most Active