Yoga anyone?

Towanda Strong3
on 4/21/08 6:52 pm, edited 4/21/08 6:55 pm - Somewhere in, CT
Hi all... I have a question. Exercise did not come naturally to me post-op. I did, though, finally find a routine that worked perfectly for me. Walking tapes with Leslie Sansone and Yoga classes at the gym. But now due to basal joint arthritis, I need to back off from yoga. It not only gives me a wonderful strengthening and stretching workout, it calms my soul. It detaches me from all stress... brings  me back to letting go of what makes me want to eat. make sense? As a result (of the pain in my hands), I have not been exercising at all! What's with that?  I digress... (might I add here that exercise now is part of my new  healthy life and I cannot function well without it!) Question is... Has anyone been able to work around limitations and continue exercise that works? Or... Found something new? FYI: I am not a machine person at the gym. Thanks for any positive suggestions. Towanda 
"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet."
                                                      ~ Bob Dylan
(deactivated member)
on 4/22/08 1:49 am

Your yoga instructor should be able to provide you with alternative poses. For instance, in downward facing dog you can use yoru forearms instead of your hands.  You may want to totally avoid crow pose and any other that have no variations. It just dpends on what your instructor knows about modification. You can modify a wheel pose by placing your back and arms on the floor while arching your tummy into the air with your legs and lower torso making the arch, this is a sort of variation of the wheel. If all else fail go into proud warrior and breathe while the rest of the class does their thing and then rejoin them on the next pose. Modify your sun salutation to fit with the altered downward facing dog and do the cobra pose without the hands, this is great for the abs and a little advanced.

I am no expert so you definately want to talk these over with your instructor first.  They should help you during class to help you modify if you let them know ahead of time. If they don't then it's time to find another instructor.

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/08 2:33 am
So you inspired me to go back to yoga after several years and let me tell you, I am stiff as hell. I can't wait to get back in the swing of things.  The biggest issue I noticed is that I am really gentle with my port so I am not doing a whole lot of the harder moves for now.
Towanda Strong3
on 4/25/08 11:11 pm - Somewhere in, CT
TBB... thanks for the encouragement. I am being "told" all over the place that Yoga is my thing.   It keeps coming up in articles, emails, flyers, etc.   a message?   perhaps..   GET BACK TO YOGA.   Thanks for the suggestions...   they really  helped me.    will be going to Stowe VT next weekend for what is called Stowe Weekend of Hope. A cancer thing. I am a cancer survivor of 26 yrs.    There will be all sorts of offerings about, not  only yoga, but other  healing  modalities that are of the Eastern philosophy rather than the rigid Western stuff.    For me... what works is good... be it Eastern or Western.    But I do find  myself gravitating to the Eastern way of approaching life.   And bottom line? If it keeps me from eating my brains out... it works for me.    Thanks again!  T.
Most Active