Running with Anemia

shoop727
on 4/21/08 11:40 pm - CA
I've posted on here before, but it's been a long while.  I was trying to get into running, been walking for several years faithfully. Discovered that I've got severe anemia due to heavy monthly cycles. I've always been faithful about taking my iron, but slowly over the course of the 2 years since surgery, my iron stores are becoming depleted. At my 2 year anniversary, my wls surgeon recommended iron infusions and highly cautioned me against putting the strain of running on my heart with the low iron. I was allergic to the iron infusion and couldn't complete the treatment. So, I'm waiting patiently for a hysterectomy to stop the blood letting each month. Ok, so here's the question(s): 1. Anyone out there running with severe anemia (ferritin less than 5)? How's that going for you? 2. What kind of iron are you taking? Thanks for listening. I'm beginning to get a little freaked out by the contradictory and lacking information out there on this topic! Best wishes,
wjoegreen
on 4/22/08 5:33 am - Colonial Heights, VA
No first or second hand experience on this one but it sounds like something I'd go with the advice of the doctor on this one.  Lack of iron anemia and bleeding mixed with running sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
puddin2day
on 4/22/08 6:27 am - Los Angeles, CA
I was / still need to take the iron supplement Vitron.  It is sold in the drugstores for about $14-$15 but it is gentle on the stomach and does not constipate you as badly as the other iron pills do.  Good luck.
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Linn D.
on 4/22/08 7:23 am - Missoula, MT
I don't/didn't have severe anemia, but when I first started my marathon training I was also donating plasma.  Several of my hematocrits were low and I felt awful.  I started and do fine with iron supplements, but I can tell you it won't be very productive to try working out very hard while your iron is so low.  You just will not be able to deliver the oxygen to the tissues and I honestly think you'll do more damage to your tissues than good.  Once your hysterectomy happens and you're healed from that and released to exercise freely you won't believe how much better you'll feel.  Linn
Most Active