10K race report!!!

Deanna34
on 4/21/08 1:49 am - Salem, OR
Yesterday I ran the Portland, Oregon "Bridge to Bridge ... to Brews!" 10K race!  As a little back ground ... one year ago I ran my very first 5K race with a friend of mine.  During that race, she pointed out the bridge that she ran over during the Bridge to Bridge race she just did.  I was awestruck!  I thought there would never come a day that I would be able to run over that huge bridge!  I spent this past year running my little heart out ... I ran six 5Ks, one 8K, and four 10K races.  And yesterday I actually ran the Bridge to Bridge and I ran over that huge bridge I never thought I'd be able to!  I ran it all by myself and I ran the whole way without stopping ... I finished in 1:07, which was a tie for my best 10K time ever ... and that was GREAT seeing how my best time ever was a totally flat course.  This course yesterday went up and over 2 bridges, one of which is big and gnarly!  It was funny because the big bridge came first and I ran up and over that NO PROBLEMS at all!  I reached the 3 mile marker where they had an aid station and I was laughing out loud because I was so pumped up and had all this energy left to finish the race and here I was at mile 3 still going STRONG!  A year ago I about died when I finished my first 5K race!   Anyway, it was a great day full of proud moments for me!  My only problem I had was after there was no water to be found.  They had a beer garden type of thing but no thank you!  Then they were handing out Vitamin Water which I've never had before but I drank it anyway because I was so thirsty.  They were also handing out meals to the finishers which consisted of bratworst dogs, saurkraut, and potato salad.  No thanks!  So we tried to find a place to eat and I literally could NOT eat anything.  My stomach was having fits and then I started feeling AWFUL.  My stomach hurt bad and it was radiating all the way up into my chest. This feeling lasted for about 4 hours before it finally subsided.  I actually managed to get a bunch of water down during the day before this happened so I don't think I was dehydrated.  So, what caused that feeling in my stomach?  I don't know.  The only thing I ate was a piece of toast with peanut butter before my race.  Then after that I couldn't eat so I didn't eat anything until last night when I finally got a Clif bar to go down.  I don't know what my problem was but my stomach is still sensitive today.  Ouch! All in all it was a great day and I cannot wait to run that race again!  I have a half marathon I'm working towards in June but I'm determined to find some other running event to do between now and then! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Rob S.
on 4/21/08 2:28 am - DE
Congratulations!  I love those bridges.  It just sort of motivates you when your running up and down those big bridges with all the water below you.  I wonder if the Vitamin Water had more sugar content than you were use to...   Just a suggestion, try and find an 8-10 miler in May to get yourself ready for the half marathon.  Stay strong, you're doing great! Rob
Deanna34
on 4/21/08 2:30 am - Salem, OR
I wondered about the Vitamin Water too but I don't normally dump or have problems with anything.  Who knows!  I felt awful though!  I've been doing long runs by myself on the weekend so I should be ready.  We don't really have many organized events around here that are longer than 10K unless it's a half marathon.  I'm determined to get it done though! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

wjoegreen
on 4/21/08 6:29 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Congrads on a great race. What a rush to get to 3 mi and feel that good. Sounds like you are well on your way to that half in June! Thanks for sharing that recap and your experince.  I actually ate a blueberry bagel after my last 10K, a first but I was pegging empty.  I ate that and a banana and a bottle water, then went and delivered brunswick stew all afternoon and evening.  (the water with the bagel is probably the only reason I got it down without much problem; slider food; a usual no-no.) The PB toast sounds like a good pre-race breakfast.  I'm not sure about the problems afterward unless it was the vitamin water, but I've tried a couple of different vitamin waters and they didn't bother me. I just don't use them because it seems like an excess of calories over regular water.  I would have drank it if that all they had besides beer too. Go Dee!!!
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
MaryS
on 4/21/08 7:22 am - Long Island, NY
Wow - nice job on the race - great pace.  Have you tried the toast and pb before a race before?  Maybe the pb was too heavy??  It could have been the vitamin water.  Or it could be as simple as an off day.  I hope you are feeling better today.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

liz A.
on 4/21/08 7:22 am
that is awesome! so it did not snow then?!?  

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

puddin2day
on 4/21/08 7:24 am - Los Angeles, CA
Deanna, Depsite your stomach problems, sounds like you had a great race.  I am so happy for you.   I will do my first 10K in a couple of weeks. Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Linn D.
on 4/21/08 8:13 am - Missoula, MT
Nice Job Deanna!  How fun.  I love those experiences.  You'll have many more to come!  Linn
Scott William
on 4/22/08 3:21 am
Way to go Deanna.  Keep at it.  You will be finishing that half before you know it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Cassie W.
on 4/22/08 11:55 am

Congratulations Deanna!  I love stories like yours that remind us how far we've come.  You provide inspiration for those who are just starting to unleash their inner athlete.  Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active